Clear Fluid Leaking from Butt

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beth & Jasmine, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth & Jasmine

Beth & Jasmine New Member

I posted this a while ago and didn't get too much response so thought I'd try again. Jasmine has been leaking clear fluid from her bottom. I can't tell if it's from her vagina or butt area. It does not have an odor. I held off on taking her to the vet as it seemed to get better. BUT - Last night she slept on our bed and got our bed wet with this. Pretty big amounts (about the size of a basketball on both the sheet and comfortor) Any ideas on what this is? I made a vet appointment, but the first available is not until next week. When I talked to the vet tech today she had never heard of anything like it. She also said it could be anal sac secretions, but those would smell. Jasmine's does not smell. I'm really worried about this now.

She has been spayed for several years and seems ok otherwise. Although have recently switched from PZI to Prozinc and she seems to not be adjusting as well as I would like to see. Since the insulin switch has had decreased appetite.

2. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi Beth,

I have been a tech for many years and do not see this much.

Could it be urine? Are you sure it is coming from her bottom?

Could it be drool maybe from her mouth? Are her gums, teeth ok. Check and make sure she has not drool or wet fur around mouth area.

I cant think of anything else but check her over very well and also make sure she has no lumps or bumps on her underside where fluid could be leaking from..

I would have vet do workup to rule out any problems and give her body a good once over.

Check for anywhere else on her body that may be wet.

Is she liking herself near her hind end?

Does not sound like anal glands to me that would definately smell and the consistancy is a bit thicker than water.

Is she an old cat?

Sorry so many questions. She may also have some kind of growth that is pressing on her bladder to make it leak.

Does she only do this when sleeping?

Does fluid leak or drip out when she is awake and Walking around?

3. Beth & Jasmine

Thanks for the response!
    I don't think it's urine because it is very definately clear and does not have any smell at all (I'm almost sure of this because cat pee has that very distinct ammonia like smell).
    I guess it could be drool, but really don't think so. She does have an enlarged lip right now due to granuloma (has been seen by vet for this in the past and it comes and goes).
    I think it's coming from her bottom because when she sits on tile it leaves a wet spot. I also picked her up this morning and there was the fluid on her underside fur.
    She is going to be 16 in August so pretty old.
    She is not licking herself, but I have noticed she stopped grooming her back legs in the past few weeks.
    I think this happens (or starts) when she's sleeping or lying down. I happened last night on the bed and then when she got up this morning she sat down in the kitchen waiting for her food. The tile on the kitchen floor was wet with this stuff (about a 2 inch circle on the floor) and her underside had a few drops on it. I took a papertowel to clean up the wetness up and it was clear/no odor. I don't see any leaking out of her when she walks. She seems to be peeing and pooping ok.
    I will give her a good once over tonight.
    Do you have any other thoughts on this? Thanks so much

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Beth

I'm betting that it's urine. Cat urine does not smell like ammonia when it is "fresh", and dilute cat urine hasn't much smell at all. How well regulated is her diabetes? Does she have kidney disease? Is she hyperthyroid, and if so is it well controlled? If you are able to do more diagnostics, starting with an abdominal ultrasound, I would.

5. Beth & Jasmine

Update: I'm home from work now and have inspected her more. It is leaking from vagina and I got a sample from the floor and it does have yellowish tinge to it so yes, I think it is urine. I called the vet back and they are able to get us in first thing in the morning. I'm brining a sample of the leaked fluid and trying to get a urine sample from her litter box as well.

6. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Yes Jess that was my first thought also.

Dilute urine would not smell as much as concentrated urine.

If she is unregulated she will be urinating more and since she is old, she may have weakness in her hind end and cant control it like she used to.

Also, bladder cancer or some other lump or bump inside could be pressing on her bladder, making it hard for her to control.

kidney disease is also a possibility like mentioned.

Glad you are bringing her to vet, please update us.

Hope I did not upset you with things listed about but those are distinct possibilities.

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

agree that it could be urine -- sometimes Norton's was like water - no color, no odor - when he was unregulated and peeing by the buckets-full

8. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Beth,
    Can you get a spreadsheet going and then start posting in PZI Land? Prozinc is gentle and takes a little while to get the dosing just right and regulated, but it is worth being persistant. A lot of cats have done well on it. Where did you get your "PZI"?

PZI forum http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=24

link to get a spread sheet :
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/view ... p?f=6&t=16

9. Beth & Jasmine

She is gone. Her health declined rapidly on Saturday. We had her put to sleep. Posting message to main board.

10. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Beth, I was just reading the whole thread and then got to your last one......my deepest sympathy on the loss of your precious Jasmine.

[​IMG]

11. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

The beautiful Jasmine...may all your wonderful memories of her comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

12. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Beth, I'm so sorry :(

I too was reading your thread out of curiosity and wondering what was happening then read the very sad news. Jasmine obviously had a very caring mom and a good long life with you.

Bonnie, Kyndra & Lita

13. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Oh I am real sorry did not check this info sooner.

What a nice and caring mom you were.

I will be thinking of you

Kay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.