Cleo on cabergoline

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Cleocatra, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Cleocatra

Cleocatra Member

Day 3 on cabergoline. I've only given her 2 doses (75mcg capsules) the last 2 mornings. It has seemed to slow her down, make her more irritable when messing around w/ her hind legs so I think she's hurting more today. I have not given her the dose of cabergoline for today yet. I gave her a dose of gabapentin this morning because I think she's hurting, so it will be easier to give the caber later on this morning.
    No apparent GI upset so far. She's still eating, pooping and peeing as usual but she's dragging her butt in the litter the last 2 days because of the neuropathy.
    Any thoughts on the initial effects of caber?
    --Gave her the caber 75mcg dose.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Ti-Mousse likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Are you doing any blood sugar testing at all? I don't see anything on the spreadsheet. It can take 7-10 days for cebergoline to impact the numbers, but when it does, it can be significant.

I have no personal experience with cabergoline, but if there are impacts, it seems to be on the appetite.

3. Cleocatra

Cleocatra Member

I have to do a good curve this weekend and send to the Dr. So does the appetite reduce? I would think it would if it brings down the IGF #.
    I need to do some spot checks tonight and into the weekend.
    Thanks.

4. Wendy&Neko

The appetite will reduce when her numbers come down. I don't know what I can do to stress the importance of testing, even more so with cabergoline in the picture. Take a look at Marvin's spreadsheet. Starting end of June 2017 is when cabergoline was started. Marvin was on 8 units, spreadsheet didn't look much different than Cleo's other than having more data. End of week 2 they were down to 6 units, down to 1.5 units the following week. If Nat hadn't been testing, Marvin would have been way overdosed and probably hypoed.

Cabergoline does not reduce the IGF-1, it impacts the growth hormone, which IMHO is the worse of the two.

How much experience does your vet have with acrocats on cabergoline?

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  5. Cleocatra

Cleocatra Member

Just tested- 472 :( . they have a dr. that does the SRT,

Ok- I thought the IGF-1 was the growth hormone.

wow- 1 week and he came down, what, 50%+? That's pretty dramatic. I can only hope Cleo responds like this- she's just been so high for so long.
    Do you think the Alphatrak2 is showing inflated readings?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020 at 3:27 PM
  6. Wendy&Neko

Glad you vet is easy to work with, but I wouldn't take dosing/testing advice from her.

Growth hormone is produced in the pituitary - it triggers insulin growth factor -1 to be produced. So you've got both things going on.

Yes, the Alphatrak will read higher than human meters, though they get closer to human meters as the numbers get lower. Since our dosing methods were written using human meters, and their test strips are cheaper, most people use human meters. Also easier to get the strips when you need them.

Marvin's reaction was probably the strongest of any we've seen. Some take longer. Here is Tiffany's spreadsheet. They numbers are using the AT. She started cabergoline on 9/20. Marvin and Tiffany were of the lucky 2 that went off of insulin. Most of the others did see a good drop in dose.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Are you giving zobaline to help with the neuropathy?

8. Cleocatra

Cleocatra Member

yes, she's getting 1 tablet of Zobaline every night. Her BG#'s are still too high. Today: 565 451 546 502. She's had 6 doses of cabergoline since last Tuesday.