Cleo's Nervous Mom

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DanaM - NYC, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanaM - NYC

DanaM - NYC New Member

Hi fellow cat lovers. I recently discovered that my 10 year old little girl Cleo has diabetes. Naturally I'm a wreck about it but will do what is necessary for my girl. I am in the early stages of treating her with lantus (initially 1 unit now up to 2 units) every 12 hours and I am only home testing her urine for glucose and ketones(she's 2+ on glucose for 2 weeks and trace ketones as of yesterday - her energy level has been good and insulin level raised due to the ketones). Her blood sugar was 400 when she was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I just ordered a glucose meter (thanks fellow members because I would have not done so if not for this forum!) and will start monitoring her blood sugar over the weekend after I bring Cleo to see her doctor. Fructosamine test will be done this weekend as well. I do want to give more details(she has a bit of a complicated medical history) and ask lots of questions but will do that in the proper location on this forum. Also plan on downloading the spreadsheet this evening. I want to do right by my girl because she has always done right by me. Just wanted to introduce myself and will be in touch soon. Thanks for being there!!!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Will it help to know we were all scared, confused and nervous at first? But knowledge is very powerful - the more you learn about how to care for your sweet Cleo, the more confident you will feel. Taking her blood sugar levels at home is very important and a great step for you to take. Be sure to check out the home testing videos which will help. The spreadsheet is a great tool for you and your vet, and is especially helpful for us, if she drops into numbers you are worried about and your vet is not available.

It sounds like you and Cleo are on the right track!

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info,
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!) There are feline-specific reference numbers in my signature link Glucometer Notes.

4. DanaM - NYC

DanaM - NYC New Member

Thank you Sue and Oliver and BJM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.