clogged feeding tube

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle and Doodle, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

Doodle had a feeding tube placed last friday and today it is clogged.
    I have been trying for 6 hours to unclog it -- I've used warm water, coke, and force with varying degrees of success
    I blended his food very well and I don't really think that is the problem... but perhaps the transfer factor I gave him clogged it.
    I don't know.

At first it seemed clogged and I was able to push water through with a bit of effort then it was completely clogged.
    Then I used coke and was able to get more water and then even 15 more mls of food - then it clogged again.
    Now it's just clogged and the coke is not even budging.

Does anyone have any other suggestions.
    I'm sort of losing it.
    He has the feeding tube because he needs to eat and I can't get any food in him.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Michelle and Doodle

Yes Sue - thank you.
    I have a post going there as well.

4. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

You have used all the tricks. Have you tried back suctioning? (I guess you have). Warm the coke and let it sit in there? A call to the emergency vet? Might mean a trip tomorrow. Good luck. Feeding tubes save lives. Once my Shiloh had one for 7 months before he started eating. Donna

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Never had clogged tube happen but I also only used Clinicare......a high potency liquid diet......much better than trying to thin food to get down a tube. Best for the liver too. Hope you get it unclogged.

6. Michelle and Doodle

OMG (((Donna))) thank you!!!
    I had not tried back suctioning because I was afraid I could hurt something. (don't ask me how -or what) :roll:
    But I just tried it and was able to get 10mls of water through!
    I don't know if it's completely cleared but I feel so much better.
    I swear I was about to cry. Thank you!

7. Michelle and Doodle

Hmm...I keep meaning to look into clinicare. (and now I'm even more inclined)
    Do you know what the carb content is?

8. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Michelle, did you get the tube unclogged? Have you tried flushing with a little Coke? Be sure to use Classic Coke - no diet versions.

I did some quick googling and try small amounts of the coke - room temp - and then repeat - rather than putting in a lot at a time.

Call the univ vet and speak with them for additional advice. There should be someone there around the clock.

We are here for support if you need us.

Hugs,
    Pam & Layla

9. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Michele, carb content is not a concern when dealing with a kitty that won't eat. You need to worry about getting the nutrients in for that liver and work around bg numbers.

10. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I had a couple of clog incidents with Smokey's tube.

I found that I had to first puree the food, using a baby-food blender.

Then, very important...push the food through a very fine sieve/strainer.
    There can be little bits of bone in there that can clog the tube.

Also, if you are giving meds through the tube, especially powder, do a little
    bit at a time, them some food, then a bit more.

Too much powder at once can cause a blockage, like cement.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

'nother option is to use a very thin piece of electrical wire that has been MEASURED to not exceed the length of the tube (because you don't want to actually poke the insides of the kitty)

12. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Oh Michelle-

I can feel the frustration, but thank GOD you got the advice about back flushing. I am so happy that worked. My Biscuit (GA) had a neck feeding tube and after 2 weeks it broke off in the middle of trying to feed him! There was about 3 inches sticking out of his neck. How 'bout that one? I was SO pissed that could happen. I didn't have the clogging problem, but I am shocked to hear that coke would unclog it. Does that mean the cat would get fed coke???

13. Michelle and Doodle

Well, the tube seems to be clean and clear for now.
    Thank you everyone for all your suggestions -- I'm going to print out this page!

Traci, I was freaked out at the idea of pumping Coke down my little Doodle too!
    But strangely enough I don't think it did a darn thing to his BG. Go figure.... I could have given two dry food kibbles and he would have jumped 100 points, but give him a shot of Coke... and nothing. :\

And OMG about the tube breaking off! - I'd be pissed as well!

14. Michelle and Doodle

I definitely understand that. I was just wondering if you knew off hand what the values were.
    Clinicare was one of the options that was originally presented to us, but the nutritionists felt that the food I've been giving him is a better choice.
    I was agreeing with him until the tube clogged :)

15. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Michelle, Clinicare has all the nutrients required and trying to puree or blenderize food to make it thin enough to go down a tube you need water so.......at least use Clinicare to thin food down instead of water. All 3 of mine were fed Clinicare only but.....it really needs to be done about every 3 hrs. round the clock. You can put just so much down at a time.

16. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Michelle

I'm glad to see any update on Doodle! I just saw your other post ... crypto, wow! You know Lucy & Oscar has a cat named Bella who had advanced crypto infection which is controlled with long term meds. Major kudos to you and your family for going the extra mile (miles and miles) for him to get him diagnosed and patched up.

Clinicare is low-density, calorie wise, and often causes loose stool in cats. It's the only option for narrow tubes (that go through the nose) but for larger tubes you may want to use a higher-cal food.

17. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

This is extremely important when using any food that is not specially designed to go through a feeding tube.

I use canned Wellness + water (supplemented as needed for the individual patient...often with egg whites to boost the protein levels) but I never put it through the feeding tube without straining it first.

The food is still pretty thick - even when pureed - so I bang the strainer on the bowl a gazzilion times to get it to go through. Then...all of the bone material gets tossed....material that would otherwise clog the tube.

18. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

I used MaxiCal to feed Shiloh. I forget the brand. Vet got it for me. I put the cans in warm water to melt a little (did 6 cans at once) then put the ingredients and 50 ml warm water in a blender. Put in daily servings containers and froze . Each day I would pull one out of the freezer. Before feeding, nuke a little and make sure no hot spots. Maybe add a touch of water. Worked for us. Donna

19. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

we use canned Wellness + water too. not for feeding tube, though, but for a feeding syringe instead. we don't puree anymore (too lazy) or bang the strainer (doesn't that send the food flying all over?) i've discovered that if you squish it hard with a teaspoon through the strainer, very little solids get left behind.

20. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

No, it doesn't.....unless you treat it like a sledgehammer.

21. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

oh. guess i can't think angry thoughts then :roll: what fun is that? :razz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.