Closing in on Wilbur's Vetsulin doses

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by johnt, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Sounds like a happy kitty who has forgiven you for taking away (most of) the Temptations. ;) The weight loss will come and slow is better.

2. Kris & Teasel

That's a low pre shot for the full 3.5 u dose. Did you get any mid cycle tests today?

3. Kris & Teasel

I think you made a correction on your SS. There's no blue AMPS yesterday any longer. ;)

4. Kris & Teasel

Looking good, Wilbur! :smuggrin:

5. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

Thanks Johnt and everyone who's been helping you and congrats to you and Wilbur on getting him properly regulated! I'm still early on in Amber's treatment but it gives me hope to see others doing so well! You should be very proud of yourself for having the dedication to provide such outstanding treatment to Wilbur!

Thanks,
    Joe

6. Kris & Teasel

I suggest you start a new thread, John. This one is very long and some dosing posts got mixed in with the other stuff on the syringe thread.

7. Kris & Teasel

Wilbur continues to look good at this dose. How is he feeling?

8. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

Because I have been concerned over the stability of Vetsulin, I made a change in preparing VETSULIN since I am squeamish about starting the Levemir, after trying NPH and then Lantus... I read forever and spoke with a few" insulin combo" experts...and decided, based on things read and told to me (pertinent to cats and dogs alike)
    1-I take Vetsulin out of frig 30-45 minutes before meals to warm it up. DVM states it mixes better at room temp.
    2-Then I shake it vigorously
    3-After being told that shaking does NOT damage the particles (as i had speculated), It just causes air bubbles, I let it settle 10-15 minutes. One DVM thinks that pets are not getting the proper dosage because there are air bubbles that are unable to be seen and up to .5 units less is being given.
    4-Then, I mix it IMMEDIATELY before injection by rolling it 30 times.
    MY POINT OF CONCERN: I don't think it's coincidence?? that Suzie's nadir changed on 4/3/2018 (after the prep change) during day from 4 h. to 8 h...but what the value of this point is simply...I don't know...I still can't get rid of HIGH FB glucoses. I am sure you all know the above theories but wanted to share the differences noted.I still learn alot from all of you..Thanks always!!!!

Suzie: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O1YNDHz-t4REns_tbAN6D_M3AYT6_kgqbHE7JWo6kSM/edit#gid=0

9. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

First, let me always start by saying, "I know nothing"..but..Suzie's vial of vetsulin was used effectively for 7 weeks and the only reason we discarded it (4/5) was because Frank saw a nano size white mark on the inside of the vial...I had to use a magnifying glass to see it..It was not mobile nor was it a clump... and because we already had 2 new vials in frig. However, as far as expiration dates on the vial..I have no idea. I base much of what I do on not changing the conditions of things=the insulin..with 2 thermometers inside and outside of the box keeping it 37 degrees-39 degrees. I think maintaining the insulin at the cold temp and not causing any bacterial changes (if possible) will keep it effective much longer..but others may know better? Now, that I have changed my preparation by leaving the insulin out to warm 30-45 min X 2, we'll see...

10. Kris & Teasel

I suggest you post your concerns about Vetsulin in your own thread on the main health forum. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.