Cobalequin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roops, May 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roops

Roops Member

Thoughts on this medication??

Purchased this from vet's office recently.
    Given it lieu of Zobaline or equivalent.
    Vet's office will not prescribe Zobaline.
    Told it is not recommended and has no reports to support it.

Cobalequin is given once a day. Also has folate 45 in it.
    Is it good for digestion and overall good health?

2. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, that made me curious, so I looked it up. Apparently, there are no studies that support Methycobalimin reversing neuropathy in felines. But I'm confused as to why the vet would encourage Cobalequin, which is B12, when there are no studies to support that either. Hmm...
    I use Zobaline for Jack's nephropathy, but I can't be certain if it really works. My understanding is that stabilizing blood glucose will usually reverse neuropathy, but it takes time. Jack started showing wonderful BG numbers almost immediately after starting insulin in Feb, and his neuropathy has been improving over the last 2 months. He's not 100%, but darn close to it. He's mostly on his toes now, even when he's standing to eat. But I do notice that he still stands on those hocks a little when he stands too long. My point? I think lowering Roops BG is your best bet in the long run. How are his numbers?

I have no knowledge of Colalequin, so I can't advise. Maybe others will know something about it. But if you really want Zobaline, can't you just use the proper amounts of Methycobalimin and folic acid, as discussed in another thread? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/zobaline-eastern-ontario-canada.214368/

Roops is such a handsome boy. And that hat is a smashing fashion statement!

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

From the discussion of Cobalequin it appears that it is the cyno form of cobalamin. This is because the description say that the oral Cobalequin reduces the need for injections. Cynocobalamin injections are typically given to cats with IBD ones with reduce kidney function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.