Cocoa

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LjCoach, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LjCoach

LjCoach New Member

Cocoa is a recently diagnosed 13 year old Calico. I believe she was abused by a previous owner who let her on the street before I took her in at about one year old. What led me to have her tested was soft smelly feces, and a new habit of peeing, but not always pooping, in her box. I'm on disability with neuro-muscular disease and live alone, so my worries are two-fold: long-term expense of insulin and needles (Sam's Hope is graciously helping short-term) when I use local food banks or myself, and her old dis-trust resurfacing as she runs from accepting her injections. I am fine once she is caught and the process is over quickly, but she makes me trap her and move furniture to get her first. I know I have to, but physically the effort is draining.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome. I'm new here too. It's always hard in the beginning, but it will get easier. Try to periodically catch Cocoa and hold her and pet her, maybe give her a treat, then let her go. Do this as often as you can throughout the day, and make sure you take a deep breath and relax before you catch her. She can sense your nerves. Doing this will help desensitize her, so hopefully overtime you'll both relax. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress

3. LjCoach

LjCoach New Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Partially my own fault. The two other cats I had when taking Cocoa in never adjusted beyond tolerating her on 'their turf', even after a dozen years. (Now one sibling as I had to put one cat to sleep last Christmas due to heart disease). So, or all her fearfulness, I never really handled her much unless she initiated the contact, usually when I was in a 'safe' position lying down or sitting. She had just started to calm down from this over the past few months.

4. Sharon14

If she likes treats, get some low carb ones and shake the container or crinkle the package and give her one. After awhile you may be able to just make that noise and she'll come to you. That's how I got my cat, Colin, to come to me for his glucose tests.

5. LjCoach

LjCoach New Member

Thanks. When it comes to food Cocoa is like a Pavlovian dog.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Sharon14

That's good! Hope it makes things easier. BTW, what insulin is Cocoa on and how much? Also what food does she eat? Colin has done better on a low carb canned food, which is highly recommended here. Would love to see a pic too!

7. LjCoach

LjCoach New Member

She was started at very low 1 unit dose of Vetsulin, but dose and/or insulin type will probably change at next appt in two weeks. We're seeing a new vet through Sam's Hope and waiting or switch to all wet (mostly Fancy Feast classics and some Friskies) diet along with antibiotic for urinary tract infection to take hold. I feel sorry for her brother who slightly preferred a mixed diet with some dry grub left out for grazing. He seems kind of put out by the extra attention Cocoa has of necessity been receiving of late.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Is that 1 unit twice a day or 1 unit once a day? No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat.

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Make sure that you're home testing before you make the switch to all wet low carb food. It's likely the insulin dose will need to be adjusted when the carb load decreases.

10. LjCoach

LjCoach New Member

1 unit twice daily

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

12. LjCoach

LjCoach New Member

Thank you

13. Sharon14

Cocoa is beautiful! I love calicos. I know what you mean about her brother. I have several other cats and they too, feel put out by all the changes. So do I sometimes. :(I hope to get a routine going to make it easier.

14. LjCoach

LjCoach New Member

Cocoa thanks you. Routine: isn't it nice to dream.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.