? Codeine for cats. Say what?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina and Gracie (GA), Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

Has anyone used codeine transdermal for their felines?

My ex-vet (as of today) sent a script to a compounding pharmacy. This is supposed to help with the pain due to the lesion on her tooth.

30-day supply will cost me $87.

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

interesting question.. to which I have no answer (sorry)

you'll get more eyes on your post if you click on the question mark icon from the drop down menu on the left on the subject (Title) line.

3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

4. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Ugh. Then why would she prescribe it. I was fine with the Bupe injection, but she (the vet) wasn't having it.

I'm currently in between vets right now, as I fired mine this morning but my new potential vet isn't able to get me in until next Friday.

I know my cat is in some pain too. :(

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

That's about what I pay for transdermal BUPE. Why not go with something proven and just alter the dose accordingly.
    You can't get take-home injectable BUPE in Canada.

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I have seen/heard of it for cats with hcm and or asthma. It helps control the cough. I don't know about mouth pain though.

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah's dose
    0.16mg/0.1ml TD
    0.05ml every 12 hours
    He has been on this for 2+ years because of dental issues, will not survive surgery.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  8. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Meh. I have mixed reviews and feelings now. I wanted the Bupe, but I couldn't force her to give me the script for it.
    My "new" vet or her tech is supposed to be calling me today. I'll see if she'll advise me on it.

I don't think she prescribe the Bupe without seeing me though.

9. Tina and Gracie (GA)

At least they know he will not survive surgery and compensate you with pain meds.
    Curious though: Did they say he would not survive surgery, or was that your call?

10. Noah & me (GA)

Noah's teeth all needed to come out a long time ago but he has cardiomyopathy and an enlarged heart so we were told he had only a 10% chance of surviving anesthesia. That was at least three years ago and he just turned 15 so there's no going back. We made the call to make his life livable and he's done very well.
    Our vet and a cardiologist have no idea what keeps him going, we just accepted that he was our little miracle boy. He was born upstairs in happier times but his three brothers and mom and dad all passed before the age of 10.
    There's always room here for one more. We adopted/rescued five more cats and now there's a slobbering dog asleep at my feet. We wouldn't have it any other way. :rolleyes:

Kris & Teasel, Sylvie and JanetNJ like this.
  11. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Noah is your little miracle. I'm so happy that you are able to keep him comfortable.

I just spoke with my new vet and she confirmed that the paste is fine to give felines, but did offer Bupe. She suggested I try the paste first, and if you don't see an improvement to switch to Bupe.

12. Noah & me (GA)

The worst part of Noah's day is having his ears tickled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.