Cody's IGF 1 =280

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Nancy and Cody, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Called MSU and got the results over the phone. FYI if they ask if you want it faxed or email, say fax if possible. Email is more difficult for them and adds 2 hours on a friday afternoon result, which probably means you wouldn't hear until Monday.

Sooooooooooooooooo, no real big surprise here. Although since he's a little guy, the vet will be surprised. She told me- "so when we get this back will this be the end of it? If I'm wrong I'll shut up about it" Haven't called her yet...

Apparently they forgot to run the IAA, so I don't know when/if we'll hear about that. It was suppose to have been run yesterday.

Cody takes aspirin 2x/week to thin his blood for his enlarged heart, which they discovered last summer in an US. (enlarged organs, hummmmmmm sounds familiar) I don't know if aspirin in kitties is a pain killer, but I seem to notice he acts happier on aspirin days. I guess so,... if he has a tumor growing in his sweet little head... Too bad aspirin is slow to metabolize in kitties, and is therefore toxic if given more than 2x/week.

Now I understand why he's become a hermit in the laundry room, instead of my TV buddy :sad: :sad: :sad:

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Nancy. However, it's good to know what you're dealing with (and it will certainly educate your vet). There is an article on Acromegaly in this month's "Feline Journal" - would be a great read for your vet.

You mention aspirin and that he seems to feel better when he gets it (besides the blood thinning). I think most of the "long-timer's" have used bupe when they think their kitty might be in pain. Many of them think that their babies get headaches. I'm sure they'll comment.

Cody can still live many years with acro and he's just as happy today as he was yesterday.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Something that helped Norton feel more comfortable was Pred. He got 6 mg per day (based on his body weight) orally.

He was definitely showing brain tumor symptoms -- walking in circles.

The Pred in theory reduced the inflammation in the tissues surrounding the growing tumor. NOTE -- not all tumors grow at the same rate. Norton had already had a malignant tumor removed from his skin before the diabetes diagnosis, so we were hoping but almost expecting to hear cancer again.

On Pred, Norton circled less and definitely felt better - he purred and interacted with us instead of acting withdrawn and just meatloafing.

While some cats need more insulin when on steroids, Norton did not.

4. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

(((Nancy))) You're right, no real surprise but it's still like getting kicked in the gut, isn't it? But you are already ahead of the game because you're used to giving him the insulin he needs and have decent control of the bgs.

As for aspirin, yes, it does act as a pain killer in cats. It's actually one of the few things I can give Fletcher without him having a bad reaction or getting overdosed on (he metabolises things differently than most cats it seems). Fletch gets 7.5mg Prednisone daily for the tissue overgrowth in his throat and also aspirin when needed (Bupe didn't seem to work much better and aspirin is more readily available).

More (((hugs))) for you and a cat_pet_icon for Cody.

5. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

((((((Nancy,))))))

I to was on the whats wrong roller coaster,and I was holding my breath till the results. Buddy wasn't Acro but IAA. I am curious to see what that number will be for Cody, as Heather said at least you know now and you can do whats best for your Baby.
    Jan

6. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Oh Nancy and of course dear Cody
    Please forgive me for being so absent. I am only now seeing this. Like Carolynn said - even tho sometimes we "know" these things - it's still so difficult to see the hard facts. Cody is sooo lucky tho to have such a loving and caring mom. Please let us know how we can help with anything at all.

I know with Merlin we had Buprenex to give him for pain and towards the end used Metacam too. Both of which seemed to help make him comfortable. He seemed to have trouble with "headaches" and alot of pain along his spine.

Sending the biggest of hugs to both of you
    xxxx
    patti

oh I wanted to add that I'll update the "sticky" and add your names to everything!

7. Nancy and Cody

Thanks everybody, yes, it really does take away the question about my dosing increases, which for the most part I did without my vet and long before I joined this board. His sugar never got better and she would frequently say 'hold the dose" and I finally got tired of holding and .....
    Now I need to try to get his numbers down, and as I understand it I keep going until I get better control. The diagnosis really helps me feel like I'm doing the right thing, and not second guessing "am I crazy for giving .... units?' of this powerful drug. What a weird disease!

I just hope he isn't suffering too much. He's not anything like the cat he was 3 years ago and he's not affectionate at all anymore, which is a total turn around. He is not mean at all, and is a GREAT patient, lets me do anything without fussing, but it is kinda sad how he never wants to be with us anymore. Maybe this is God's way of letting me get used to the idea that he'll be gone someday. I will be a basket case when I lose them.

BTW & FYI
    I think I got a bad vial of Prozinc last week, possible frozen in shipping to the vet. Unfortunately it happened around the same time that Cody GORGED himself on dog food (I was ZONED into the FDMB and forgot dog food was down). Prozinc (B.I.) was great, and mailed a new vial to my vet, unfortunately it took 6 days because I called them Friday at 5:15.

I really appreciate the support, and in a few days, maybe tomorrow I will collect my questions and start a new thread, so I hope you all won't abandon me! :cool: :?

8. Nancy and Cody

Oh and Cody doesn't walk in circles, but I would like to compile something about his characteristics. Seems like I saw a chart the one time I went over to the acro MB. (I hope I can get back there and remember his PW)

9. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Oh Nancy
    YOu and Cody will never be abandoned. We're here with you thru thick and thin and hopefully help you with whatever you need.

FWIW - I think we all see/saw our kitties change some. Sometimes I wonder if it's so they are so tolerant of all that they need. Maybe too once you can get some of his pain under control - if that would help some. I know with Merlin - he didn't like to be held necessarily but he would like to at least lay by me. I got pretty free with the pain meds - I felt like it was the one thing I could do to maybe make life a little more comfortable for him. I definitely saw him feeling better after I started them.

My heart broke reading your statement about losing them - all kiitties are so special but I think with all that we do for these special ones - these even attach themselves to your heart anymore. I know I still miss my Merlin so very much

10. sanrun

sanrun Member

Sorry about the Acro DX. I know how it feels :cry: Just do the best you can with his numbers and give him as much love as you can. You'll know when it's time to let him go.

11. Nancy and Cody

Thanks Everyone
    It really means so much to connect to folks who understand whats going on and have been there ahead of you.

12. Barnbuddy

Barnbuddy Member

Sorry you have to go through all of this:-(

The more I read the more I connect. My Buddy used to be around me all the time too. Now he's become the hermit under the basement stairs:-( Sigh:-/

Joanne

13. suzie and spook (GA)

suzie and spook (GA) Member

Don't despair, we went through the exact same thing with Spook when her numbers were high. She didn't want to associate with anyone, preferred to be alone and never wanted to be picked up anymore. The good news is when we finally did get her numbers back to normal, she became her loving social self again, even head-butting me in the middle of the night to be cuddled. Hang in there, you will manage to get there too in time. And remember, we're all here to help whenever you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.