COLE at 54 at +2. Help please?!

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by beene5052, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Cole was at 165 PMPS. Now at 54BG at +2. Should I take any action since he probably will go lower as he is only 2 hours in.

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry no one saw your post last night. It is a good idea to post on the Health Forum as well when you have a more urgent question as there are usually more "eyes" on there.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

It looks like you were able to handle the larger drop. When you get a bigger drop early in the cycle, especially with Humulin, you can give extra food, either a higher carb regular or a medium carb and retest 20-30 minutes later.

BTW I just read your other post about your vet telling you not to test as much. Last night is a perfect example of WHY you want to do regular testing. Without regular testing you would not have known that the numbers dropped down as much. Often after a bigger drop the glucose readings will "bounce" up for a day or so. So if a test was done when Cole was bouncing then it could look like he needed more insulin, when in fact the opposite may be true. Regular testing keeps our kitties safe.

ETA I just saw that you did post on the Health forum last night and were able to get some good help/support for Cole. Well done!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I feel you need to lower your dose to 0.5, at least temporarily. 1 is too much and is causing him to bounce a over the place. And for the time being, don't shoot when the preshot is under 190-200. You just don't have enough data yet.

4. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Thank you Janet. Just saw post. He was high this morning, didn't see your post until after AM shot. CERTAINLY will not shoot if PMPS in that range. THANK YOU!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.