Cole Insulin Levels - What's Next Step't ''

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by beene5052, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Hi Everbody,

Have been taking Cole to vet for once a week checks of BG. 1st 2 weeks 480 BG and 400 BG,

Monday, Sept. 25 was 175BG. Testing for pancreatitis. Not eating great. Maybe 1/4 cup mixed at best.

Vet ordered meter(believe Alpha Trac) but have not gotten it yet. Should I go to store and buy one now. No Walmart near me but have Walgreens and CVS.

Cole acting very drowsy and he threw up a couple times last week so now vet has him on Cerenia 16 mg 1x day and waiting on pancreatitis test. Vet would not say treatment for that.

What's my next move? Please, need help.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes. The sooner you start a BG testing routine at home the sooner you can get Cole on track. Having the vet check his BG once a week (one test?) doesn't give you a true picture of how he's doing.

High BG can cause these symptoms as can BG that's too low. Treatment for pancreatitis addresses the symptoms: Cerenia for nausea and vomiting, appetite stimulant if he's not eating, pain meds and maybe extra hydration.

I strongly suggest you start testing ASAP and set up the spreadsheet we use here to log all your data.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

3. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Thank you for the reply! Cole acted like himself for the first time in 2 weeks - looking out window at birds, squirrels, eating. I cried!
    playing with his toys. I tested his BG at +8 was 223BG. Will test at +11.? Tried to set up SS as I work only off Ipad but no
    luck. I am technically Stupid. Need Help.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

@Chris & China has helped many get set up. So has @Marje and Gracie.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You might want to check with your vet again.....that's a pretty high dose

Most of us give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That 16 mg tablet should be quartered.

Glad you are testing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.