Comparability of Testers - Different Results

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dodgingwrenches, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

Hi all,

I've been using the True Track and today I picked up the Freestyle Light. I needed something that requires less blood (although Heart gave me a gusher tonight since he pulled his head leading me to tear the edge of his ear as I was pricking). The two give totally different readings though

I don't have testing solution for each, so I tested on myself.

TrueTrack: 5.4 mmol
    Freestyle: 5.2 mmol

Close enough, right?

When I took Heart's BG though

TrueTrack: 24.8 (446)
    Freestyle: 21.5 (387)

Which one should I go by? Consumer reports has the Freestyle slightly more reliable than the TrueTrack. Unfortunately the Freestyle caps at 27, whereas the TrueTrack gives readings up to 33.

Anybody have experience with both of these?

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

The US specifies that home glucose meters are allowed a varience of maximum 20% from the true value. That means that there is less variance at lower numbers than for higher numbers. Examples: If you get a 400, it could really be 320-480, but if you get a 50, it really could be 40-60. So I would pick one and stick with it. Remember, you are looking for trends and a safe number to shoot, not absolute on the nose numbers. Maybe test them both against your vet's at the next appointment?

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Take a look at Maui's ss. When I started with her, I used the TT meter. I got a one touch ultra and did a similar comparison. Personally, I think TT is unreliable and I returned it. However, I will give you the advice I received.

Pick one meter and stick with it. Return the other one.

I picked the OTU and have the regular and mini meters. I've used both of these meters and found the bg difference to be 2 points max, which in my mind means they read the same.

hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.