Comparing carbohydrate content between grain-free and grain containing diets

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Larry and Kitties, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

http://www.winnfelinefoundation.org...between-grain-free-and-grain-containing-diets

The study was for dry food.

"The authors report that the study determined that the mean manufacturer-reported carbohydrate content of the grain-free diets was 25% lower than the reported carbohydrate content of the grain-containing diets. However, there was considerable overlap between the two groups, while within each group individual diets varied widely in carbohydrate content. When comparing diets sold in specialty stores with mass-market diets, the carbohydrate content was higher in the mass-market diets than in the specialty diets, all inclusive of grain-free and grain-containing diets."

"In conclusion, the authors state these results indicate that selecting a grain-free diet is not necessarily a guarantee of lower carbohydrate content or fewer common food allergens are being fed (many common allergens are just as frequently found in grain-free diets). "

Sylvie likes this.
  2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

grain-free definitely has been a misleading term used by most manufacturers in some ways. so many people still believe that grain-free means low carbs and good for their pets with allergies. quite honestly, i remember checking ingredients to make sure meat protein was first and the rest wasn't full of grains but, not thinking that peas, potatoes and sweet potatoes were carb food too, so i probably thought the same about grain-free meaning a good low carb food before i learned to check the math myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.