? Compounded Cisapride

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ZulusMom (GA), Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Despite not having any obvious physical obstructions (tumors, megacolon, blockages), Zulu is having issues with constipation again. Since Miralax on its own is no longer doing the trick, the vet prescribed Cisapride. I didn't realize that it was a compounded medication and that it would be in some sort of brown colored suspension, which to me has the color and consistency of gravy. I am putting in a call today, but wanted to ask you all (while I really like this vet practice, I credit you all with helping me to get my fur baby into remission) - has anyone used this before? Does it have any impacts on BG?? If so, are there any alternatives? I've also started mixing cooked egg yolk in with his food as a natural motility booster. Hoping for the best.

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know what they compounded it with - ask them if they used a sugar base. I had trouble finding Cisapride and ended up going with Reglan which doesn't work as well. It's not my diabetic so can't answer the bg spike part. I only dose it when I absolutely have to because it affects ALL muscles not just the colon....including the heart. It usually only takes 1-2 doses to get him back 'on track'.

3. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

When I called this morning the vet tech said there was a sweetener used in the formulation, which is a bit troubling. The vet is supposed to call me back later today, but I won't use it again until I get a definitive answer or an alternative medication. I thought cats didn't have taste buds for sweets, so I don't see why they would put that crud in there, kind of frustrating.

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I gave Squallie Cisapride, but his were in tablet form.

5. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Yeah, I really would have preferred pills... Zulu has never been difficult to pill. I heard back from the vet, and apparently they add sweetener because the cisapride on its own is pretty nasty tasting. However, because it's short term, the small amount of extra carbs *shouldn't* knock him out of remission (this makes me grate my teeth, for sure!). :nailbiting: If he needs it long term, beyond the next week and a half, the vet will give me a script through their online pharmacy, which is cheaper, has a longer shelf life, and has the option for other formulations (i.e., no more sweetened liquid).

6. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but I wanted to update this in case it would help anyone else in this situation. We used the vet's compounded cisapride for about 2 weeks, and then tried to wean him off of it to see if he would keep going on his own. Apparently he has a lazy colon, since as soon as we started decreasing the dose, I noticed less frequent movements in the little box. I ordered a different formulation of the compounded cisapride made with stevia (again, not sure why they need sweeteners at all, but apparently that's the norm) that's shelf stable for 6 months.

The GOOD NEWS is that we haven't had to use it yet. I started adding cooked egg yolks to Zulu's food, which is supposed to help with gastrointestinal motility issues, and so far, so good! He gets about a yolk a week, spread out in his meals, plus his usual quarter tsp of Miralax a day. Knock on wood, his constipation has not come back. I'm not sure if this would help a cat with more serious underlying issues like megacolon, but thankfully it helps Zulu without the risk of throwing off his BGs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.