Compounding Meds - Chewy Treat, Liquid, or Transdermal ear

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat and sweet max, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

And a variety of flavors.

Anyone have better luck with one over the other?

Thank you hugs and headbutts,

Cat, and Kee Kee

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

What are you thinking of compounding?

I did not care for transdermal HyperThyroid meds, used it on three and did not get results.

I do compound liquid forms of antibiotics, but I think that's pretty normal.

If you got to BCP's website your vet can get samples of compounded vetchews:

http://www.bcpvetpharm.com/products_vetchews.htm
    Cisapride 5mg chicken chew
    Methimazole 5mg tuna chew
    Prednisolone 5mg tuna chew
    Metronidazole 50mg liver chew
    D.E.S. 1mg beef chew
    PPA 25mg beef chew

3. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Thank you! I just ordered the chicken pet chews from a compounding pharmacy.
    I'm going to let the vet know about the BCP samples.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Gwyn was very difficult to pill, and some of the flavors of the medications couldn't really be disguised too much by the chewy treats, so those often weren't an option.

We did liquids successfully for a *lot* of years; Gwyn mostly liked the chicken flavor, which was odd because she preferred tuna as a treat. One really nice thing with the liquids is that it's easy to adjust dosages accurately, so if you want to give 10% more or 10% less, you just adjust the syringe accordingly. We cut back on the oral liquids when Gwyn went up to something like 10 syringes a day; it was just too hard to keep up with everything, so we switched a bunch of things to more readily available pills or powders.

We used transdermal gels when inappetance was an issue; we didn't want to force things into Gwyn's mouth and potentially make her even more stubborn about eating stuff, which had happened several times previously. I think the things we mostly used the transdermals for were appetite stimulants and steroids, but there were a couple of things as well, I just don't remember what they were.

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

The transdermal gels are iffy. While many cats like them, my Folly scratched his ear raw trying to get it off.

6. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Maggie got her heart med via transdermal gel. (Putting anything in her mouth caused MAJOR stress. Not a good idea for a heart kitty.) Transdermal worked well for us. If you go that route, just remember you have to clean the goop off the ear regularly, maybe once a week, with rubbing alcohol and/or warm water.

7. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I prefer the liquid compound for the HyperT med we use. So easy to put in food. Pilling Sweety is just too stressful, for both of us, and I haven't tried any transdermals.

8. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Kee Kee isn't thrilled with the chews, but he doesn't put up too much of a fight. Funny this is, I put a chew out last night, and Mama Kitty grabbed it and gobbled it down in seconds.

Thank you hugs!

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

9. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

is the cisapride helping ?

10. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

I saw him poop a bit today. And it was a nice color (not black). Never knew how excited I could get about poop. He is also getting daily Sub Q's and Miralax, in addition to the Cisapride chews he gets twice a day.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

11. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Isn't the site of the *right* colored poop amazingly wonderful? who knew :mrgreen:

Hope the cocktail of meds keeps things moving for kee kee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.