Concerned about post anesthesia condition

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy and Kitty, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Kitty had a dental, got him home, he was full of energy. His BG is fine -- 99.

I fed him 2 teaspoons of his FF low carb, with some water in it to make it soupy, heated it. Now he's just lying on the floor. Responsive, breathing, but could he have gotten nauseated? What should I do?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would call the vet's office that did the dental. He could be just nauseated like you said since anesthesia can do that sometimes.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

My Ennis is always "unusual" after anesthesia. He has a dental about 4 weeks ago, and when he first got home he had to check around and make sure the house was OK. Even though I had to hold him up while he did it. Once he was sure all was as he left it, he crashed in the dog crate for two days.

My vet doesn't want me feeding the cats too much too soon after anesthesia because they can get nauseated. It doesn't stop Ennis, the eat-anything cat, but I do try to slow him down. 2 tsp of food wouldn't bother Ennis, but it just might be too much for Kitty.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Usually Squeak comes out of anesthesia really well, but last time he really struggled for a couple of days. I can't tell you whether to take him in or not as it is impossible to know for sure; I'd suggest watching him closely and if you feel it is urgent then go in, otherwise keep watching....

5. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone. He seemed to recover after about 20 minutes, and then I moved him to the A/D I brought home from the vet.

His blood glucose has dropped, so I'm working on feeding him the A/D (which is high carb) a bit at a time.

He had an easier time when he last had anesthesia.

I've read all the links about his dental condition; it's scary. We'll see what the board certified vet has to say after he sees the x-rays.

I appreciate the input very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.