Conflicting BG range

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JennRoss86, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Hey!

My vet recommends I don't give insulin if my kitty's BG levels are below 200. She said that 120-200 is considered remission.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm attempting to reverse his diabetes with diet alone (and it's working)

At 2pm today he was 119, and now at 4pm he's 185

Should he be lower to be considered remission? I would guess these are great numbers!

Please and Thank you.

-Jenn & Mister Grey

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

They are indeed very good numbers but not quite remission

The not shooting below 200 recommendation is usually when you start insulin but as you gather data and learn how your cat reacts to insulin you will shoot with lower numbers to really help mantain him in the normal glucose range

What insulin are you giving?

This link may help you a little
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ng-reductions-and-starting-otj-trials.150160/

3. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

We was on Vetsulin in the beginning and stopped responding after coming out of what my vet considered remission. And he's been on Lantus since January.

4. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

He was on*

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Are you keeping a spreasheet ? It would help everyone if we could see his numbers

6. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Pardon my handwriting, it's convenient and I will be inputing into an excel spreadsheet soon. I have plenty more records, but this page is just from 00:00 of the 4th of May.

Attached Files:

7. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

the dot and check symbol stand for spot check, and I'm about to test his levels again since it has been an hour since the 0.5 unit injection

8. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

almost two hours later, he's down to 160 - but i may wait until later tonight to give either another 0.5 unit, or 1 unit. What do you think?

9. Veronica & Babu-chiri

You need to shoot every 12 hours, so if I'm interpreting right your notes you shooted at 16:30 hours so the next shoot would have to be at 4:30 am, if I'm not right about your schedule please correct me, you should not try and shoot before those 12 hours because with Lantus you will start having weird numbers or risk an over dose

If it were me I with this numbers I would start trying to shoot 1/2 unit every 12 hours and monitor how he's doing, I think you should try and keep this 1/2 unit for at least 3 days (6 cycles ) unless he goes under 90 at any time then I suggest you post here and ask for advice for your next dose ( probably you'll have to lower your dose to 0.25 units if this happens)

10. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

You are correct on the time, so yes, I will dose 0.5 at 04:30 - thank you so much for your help! And your spreadsheet is incredible!!

11. Veronica & Babu-chiri

12. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

I believe with everyone's help, we will get him there!

Also, are the +#'s across the top of your spreadsheet indicating the times you checked his sugar throughout the day? Like AMPS U +1 +2 +3 etc...?

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  13. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Yes we use that so that everyone knows how is the cycle going and how many hours after you shoot you are testing regardless of the time frame you are because there are people from all over the world

AMPS is the test you do before the morning shoot and the PMPS is the test before the night test

14. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

I thought so! I've copied your template and input my info

Attached Files:

15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you go to the top right corner of your spreadsheet, you should see "Share"....click there and you should see a link you can copy so we can see your spreadsheet.

You'll see most of us have the links to our spreadsheets in our "Signature" and it'll be helpful if you'll fill yours out too so we don't have to ask the same questions over and over.

To open the Signature, go to the top right of this page and find your sign on name. There will be a drop down menu and you choose "Signature"....a new box will pop up for you to enter information like:

Your name/Cats name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, type of food, any other health issues? and a general location for you.

Then you copy the link from your spreadsheet and paste it into the signature and "Save"

16. Veronica & Babu-chiri

In the U colum put the dose you gave in this case 0.5 in the U column next to the PMPS

17. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Thank you, I just updated my signature!

18. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job!

As you can see, what we feed makes a huge difference in how they respond!

I'd start always testing before shooting (The "Pre-shot" tests) and then try to get at least 1 test somewhere mid-cycle on the AM cycle and a "before bed" test on the PM cycle (most cats go lower at night so it's important to get tests on the PM cycle) and just hold that .5 dose for several days and let's see how he does.

19. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Will do, thank you!! He's so close to being OTJ!!! I can't wait to share this with my vet. She may just be inexperienced, but she should know to not advise her patients to eat any dry prescription food. It was literally keeping him sick! I can't believe a week ago he was up to 18 units total a day.

20. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

About to do my AMPS test, and I was just thinking... how does anyone draw less than half a unit? It's practically unmeasurable at that point?! Grey's sugar spiked a little last night and went to 269, so I'll update my sheet in a few minutes :)

21. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

He's down to 116 again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.