Confused about carb content calculations

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RockyRoo, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo New Member

I've been using mostly Soulistic brand food lately as the cats both like it and it seems good quality. But the percentage carbs that I come up with is way off from what the company states. For one flavor, Polynesian Picnic, Soulistic's website tells me it's 6.81% carbs on a dry matter basis. (It's nice that they are so open about that info.) But if I was looking at the can and calculating it myself, I get 22%?! How can there be such a difference?

I'm calculating this flavor as protein + fat + fiber + moisture + ash = 96.5. So wet matter carbs should be 3.5% right? And dry matter should be 22% because 3.5 ÷ (100-84) x 100?

While I'm here, what do you guys 5hink about Rocky's current dosing? Does it need adjusting?

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

The numbers on the can are the guaranteed analysis, so they are just minimum and maximum values and will therefore only give you an estimate. That’s why so many people rely on the catinfo food chart. Those values were obtained by directly contacting the manufacturers

3. RockyRoo

RockyRoo New Member

Well that is very unhelpful (the estimates, not you). When I was looking for food in the store, I put that flavor right back cause I thought it was high carb. If I went shopping without a list of appropriate foods, I'd be SOL I guess lol.

Sarah&Soph likes this.
  4. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Oh yeah, it really is :rolleyes: Trying to figure out foods when my girl was first diagnosed was a nightmare!

For what it’s worth, if you haven’t checked the food chart yet, Dr. Lisa has the Polynesian Picnic listed as 6% carbs so it’s fine :cat:

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.