Confused about fructosamine test during remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by blu, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blu

blu Member

Hello,

Blu has 3 more days to go before he is officially OTJ. His numbers haven't gone over 95 since he's been off insulin and actually getting more readings in the 60's the further we go into this OTJ trial! YAY!

He visited the vet yesterday and she was hopeful we could have a nice, long time regulating his diabetes with food. Back when he was diagnosed she was suppoirtive when I questioned her about home testing instead of bringing him in, and recommended it as it would give more accurate numbers. (even said straight out would save me money...nice vet!!) She let me do all his blood curves at home, too. But yesterday she said if his numbers stay nice and low and he remains off insulin, she would like to do a fructosamine test in 3 weeks.

I should have asked why - but my mind was on the bad news which was that Blu needs not one tooth extracted but a "few".

Can anyone give me an idea of why she would want to do a fructosamine test if his numbers stay low and he's off insulin?

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,

Personally, I cannot see any reason for a fructosamine test. I don't see how this would provide any additional information.
    Has your vet seen your cat's blood glucose numbers..? (They are truly excellent! Well done!) Perhaps the vet doesn't quite believe the results...?

My cat is permanently on insulin and his numbers aren't always that great, but even my vet says that - since I am hometesting -there is nothing to be gained by doing a fructosamine test. (Bertie is the only cat at his clinic who is hometested, all others have their blood glucose tests done at the clinic....along with their fructosamine tests......)

Eliz

3. blu

blu Member

I don't think the vet is not trusting on the numbers...yesterday she said "i don't need to test his sugar because you've been doing it regularly" - so she didn't even do a glucose test yesterday.

When it gets towards that time, I guess I'll call and ask the reasoning for it. It's annoying to call there bc you don't usually speak to the vet, rather the question and answer is relayed through the front desk staff. They are a busy office so I understand, but sometimes they've gotten a little snippy when I questioned things before.

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

If you have good tests, random times over the past month which looks like you do, then a fructosamine test will show what you already know. It bring up the BG levels from 30 days prior to the date she's doing the test on, so not sure if that's needed at all. Great to see the remission is holding well with the numbers......Davidson will be doing the same by months end give or take a couple days and I've not had him back to the Vet since Jan 15th.

Congrats!!

Shawna

5. blu

blu Member

Thanks for the responses . . . it's good to know that I wasn't missing something obvious about the 'need' for the test. I'll be calling the vet hear what reasoning they might have for it. I did miss calling in a blood curve - maybe my file is noted for bad behavior or something!! :lol:

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.