confused about how to read nutrition info

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Vtambo & Rex, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

Hi all - it's been a while - which I guess is good because that means things are under control! :)

I do have a question though mostly regarding phosphorus levels, but also carbs, etc. I am confused about how to read. sometimes I see them listed in percentages, sometimes mg or grams, etc. I am just not sure how to read or what specifically I need to be looking for. I want to know the phosphorus info because my little guy also has kidney stuff going on. I know I should be contacting Tanya's kidney website, but frankly, this site is so much easier to maneuver and message on. :cool:

so, if anyone has any info on the easiest way to read this info and what numbers exactly I need to be aiming for, that would be great. I know the carb number should be under 10, and I am thinking that is grams right?? well, that is what I have been doing and that seems to be working.

thanks everyone!

Vicki Tamborino and Rex

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

for the phosphorous i would just go on chewy.com and go to question area of food brand i am interested in and see if someone else asked, if not than i would ask question there and they normally answer within 2 days.

as for carbs, you can do the same as above or use a nutritonal calculator like one below but, i don't recall carbs in mg or grams for cat foods, the 10 you mention would be 10%.. i think only humans calculate carbs percentage into grams for their diabetes diet logs??

http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

For carbs, you’re looking for % calories from carbs to be under 10, those are the numbers found on Dr Lisa’s chart. To properly calculate it you need actual as fed numbers not guaranteed minimum and maximums. Not sure about calculating the phosphorus, but on Dr Lisa’s chart I look for under 200 for my kidney cat.