Confused and worried

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Msbrigitta, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

We just got back from the vet. We went because Merlin is just not doing well, this whole summer he's been 'off'. He's lost some weight, eats less, has bouts of vomiting and lately of diarrhea. His sugars are fairly stabil though. Anyway, we thought it was time to do some bloodwork to see if he hasn't developed any other issues (anaemia/low potassium/pancreatitis/hyperthyroidism/kidney disease). Well, the vet agreed and blood was taken, but than he also really went after how we handle the diabetis and in his eyes we have to change everything we've done for 5 years now.
    He doesn't like the Relion human meter, wants us to change to a pet-one, he wants us to change his food from fancy feast to purina MD and while we're at it, probably also change his insuline.
    He also wants to pull all his teeth and in this he's probably correct because they are bad and infected, it's just so incredibly expensive and I don't know where we are going to find the money.
    I'm just so confused and a little (OK a lot) upset. Are we doing it all wrong?

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  2. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I don’t understand why some vets are like that. My vet has been nothing but supportive. Loves my spreadsheet and will advise if I just email it over! As far as teeth, my understanding is that it will raise bg. Truffles had all his teeth out in 2016 before we moved here from the UK. Have you had his test results ack?

3. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

Test results won' be back until Wednesday afternoon. It's going to be a long wait ...

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

You know that a lot of vets do not really know what they are doing when it comes to feline diabetes. You know that MANY people monitor with human monitors, and that the food you are feeding is within the appropriate carb percentage. So, don't be 'bullied' on those things.

Regarding the dental - if dental work is needed, if at all possible, get it done. Maybe check for available resources to help you financially with it. Dental problems wreak havoc on the poor little things. I would make sure he actually takes x-rays before determining which teeth to remove. If any can stay, it would be nice.

5. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Don’t worry though. You would never know Truffles doesn’t have teeth. Eats everything!

6. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

Thank you Anne and FurBabiesMama for putting my mind at ease. I knew this going in but you know how it is, you're a little nervous and they talk so 'professional' and you start to doubt yourself .. As far as the dental - I found this amazing clinic in Richmond, VA, https://www.helpinghandsvetva.com/procedures-pricing/dental/, that does dental for a flat rate of $260, regardless of how may teeth they pull or what else! Can you believe it? They have very good reviews and work with you and/or your vet to get it done. It happens to be that we will be traveling south in October (we live in an RV) and will be passing Richmond, of all places! I hope we can make it work, it will be such a relief, for all of us ..!

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I know you chose your vet and it's not my place to disparage your choices but these are some drastic changes he wants to make. You've been doing this long enough to have a clear understanding of Merlin's condition and what works and what doesn't. If you're not satisfied demand a point by point explanation of each procedure/change and why he feels it's needed. He's the doctor but you have the practical experience.
    You've been here for seven years. It may be inconceivable to him that you know something he does not. No one likes a snob.

9. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

Yes, we live in an RV with a cat, he's a great traveler, sleeps the whole way and is always the first to explore new surroundings. He knows his RV is his home and never fails to pick his one out of a whole row of them! I'll make some time in the near future to share some stories and picks!

10. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

Since we're living and traveling in our RV full-time we always pick 'a' vet where ever we end up. You're probably right about this one feeling somewhat 'attacked' or 'out-knowledged' by a mere amateur. We've already decided to stick by what we know has worked just fine for all these years .. I was just a little unnerved ..

11. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Since I have so many oddball neurological conditions I take my big fat file folder with me for any doctor visit. My family doctor appreciates patients who have already ruled out the cause of their rash and others are quite curious by the scar left behind by pre scope-your-knee surgery. Arrogant interns with a seminar of neurology under their belt turn red when I say "That theory is out of date". All you can do is bring your paperwork including test results and previous and ongoing medical conditions printed in an orderly fashion. Avoid adjectives and metaphors, they may be late for their golf game. And the usual; no eye rolling, crossed arms, under your breath moans and groans. Since you're travelling you won't necessarily have time to wait for blood and/or urine test results. Ask for them to be forwarded to you or bring the last few test results and know how relevant they are considering how much time has passed.
    The shorter version? Be prepared, demonstrate your knowledge and willingness to learn, don't take any crap because you're not a "regular".
    Is your RV an Airstream with 3 bathrooms and a 60" TV or
    trailer01.jpg

12. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

Thanks for the pep-talk, we'll be better prepared next time! We only travel for a month in the spring and fall, we stay 'put' somewhere for the summer and winter. Our RV is something in between, a large 39' 5th wheel with all the comforts of home (which it is), a king size bed, washer and dryer, I even have a dishwasher!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.