Confused - Glucose Numbers Not Moving (Lantus)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Allison & Meow Meow, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allison & Meow Meow

Allison & Meow Meow New Member

Hello all,

I am confused by what I'm seeing in Meow Meow's glucose levels. He was diagnosed with diabetes in November 2008, and was prescribed Lantus. He went into remission around September 2009. During the time he was on insulin, he started off on 2u and tapered down to .5u.

Last month a friend's cat was diagnosed with diabetes and we were talking about home testing. It made me think about testing glucose levels again, especially since I had not tested Meow's levels in a while, so I thought I'd do a check-up. He had not been displaying any signs of diabetes, so imagine my surprise when he tested in the low 300s! I tried not to freak out, but did a curve on him the next day (no insulin at this time), and his levels over a 12-hour period ranged from the low 300s to high 200s. I started him on .5u of Lantus, and saw no difference over a week. Moved him up to 1u, and again, have seen no movement in glucose levels. I thought maybe my Lantus went bad since it was the same package of insulin I'd had since 2009 (I use the cartridges, used a brand new one, which had not expired). Got new Lantus from Walgreens and have still seen absolutely no movement in glucose numbers.

Despite his high numbers, he does not display the typical symptoms of diabetes. He has not lost weight, not drinking a lot of water, or peeing a lot. Seems to be feeling relatively fine. He is on an all wet food diet - grain free Wellness. Has been on this diet since his original diagnosis.

So what do you all think? Something other than diabetes?? Lantus not effective on him anymore? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there

did you check the expiry date on the strips?

hows the teeth?
    can you check for ketones?

3. Kimber and Bunny GA

Kimber and Bunny GA New Member

Agree with Ronnie--when did the strips expire?
    Have you changed diet?

Annie took 7-10 days to show anything really with Lantus....how long have you been using the new batch?

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You can test yourself with the strips to see if they seem okay. If the strips are okay, another option is a trip to the vet. When Oliver came out of remission, it was not diabetes. He had symptoms though and Meow Meow doesn't seem to.

5. Allison & Meow Meow

Allison & Meow Meow New Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've been using this new batch of Lantus for 7 days. Strips have not expired, but I'm running low, so I will be ordering some more anyways. Who knows, maybe something funky happened to the strips.

His teeth are just okay. He's been due for a cleaning for a while now, but I hesitate because he is AWFUL at the vet. Last time he had his teeth cleaned, he got uninvited back for the check-up visit to check on his extractions. He was that bad. He eats just fine, though. Would bad teeth affect his glucose levels??

He's been on the same diet for 1.5 years, and has been doing very well on it.

Obviously I'll take him to the vet as necessary, but please keep the replies and ideas coming.

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Teeth can make a HUGE difference!
    I took Shadoe to have her teeth checked, the vet had said they did not look all that bad but I wanted to get them cleaned and be sure none were bad.
    They were quite fine, 4 iffy ones were Xrayed and 1 molar was very bad in the Xray and had to be pulled.
    Her dose dropped a great deal afterwards.
    It could be some infection and you just need some AB but a trip to the vet could determine what's going on. Get blood work done to rule out some other possible problems too.
    It could even be something as simple as you have not reached the correct dose.

Are there any sort of med or pill that one can give to relax a cat before a vet visit?
    I wonder because I have a civvie I would be scared to put in a carry case never mind take to a vet!

7. HappyAmber

HappyAmber Member

I believe you can give 1/2 of a Valium or half a benadryl to sedate a kitty (or at least calm them enough for a visit)...i'd check with the vet before giving anything though

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used Acepromazine as a sedative. I talked to my vet and he prescribed it before trying to put my Misty in the carrier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.