Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles English

Charles English New Member

George was diagnosed with diabetes on 5/28 with BG readings over 500. Started out at 1 unit, 2x/day, on 6/8 went to 2 units, still with BG reading of 400-500. 6/24 went to 3 units but on 6/26 we switched from dry food (DM) to wet food (the low carb foods from the website). From then on his BG levels have been erratic, between 350 and 150. When we got to below 150 we wouldn't give him a shot. On 7/6 we sent George's readings to the vet and she said not to stop the shots, but to take him down to 2 1/2 units and 1 unit when it was low. It was low more often than it was high so on 7/11 we decided to take him back to 1 unit all the time (thinking we would get it stable) and it was still so low that the vet said to take him to 1/2 unit on 7/12. On 7/13 BG was at 120 and we decided to just stop the insulin altogether and see if we could get his BG levels stable. No luck. Ever since the PM of 7/13 it has been under 120 and we haven't given him any insulin since then. Throughout all of these erratic readings I've been giving him some dry food along with the wet food, just to increase his carbs and get his readings up. No difference. I called the vet on Friday afternoon since his BG level was under 100, but she didn't call back, so she either was having a great weekend or wasn't concerned about George's BG levels. But I am! Tonight it was 73. I gave him some corn syrup, even though he wasn't acting weird. Any suggestions or advise (and please something more helpful than to get a new vet!)

Kate, Charles & George

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

no need for the syrup if he's not getting insulin. normal glucose levels can be as low as the 50's and 60's, with some occasionally dropping even lower.

sounds like your kitty has gone into remission, or is working on it. :D mind you, once a diabetic, always a diabetic so make sure to keep him on a low carb diabetic friendly food (nix the dry ok or you'll be going back on insulin) and you should be good

now you might see higher numbers later tonight and possibly tomorrow because of the syrup. don't shoot insulin as you could walk right into a hypo. let the syrup clear his system and if he stays under 120, then you got yourself a diet controlled diabetic :)

3. Ken and Sneakers

Ken and Sneakers Member

Hi

Stop the high carb foods.If you are getting low numbers around 100 without insulin it is possible that your cat nay be able to become or is diet controlled. None diabetics and cats in remission can hang around 50 without insulin (also lower and higher)

No more dry food should be fed.

4. Charles English

Whew, thanks. No, won't give him any more insulin. I'd just like to get something consistent. So what is "normal"?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

normal can range from 50 to 120...however you can send your cat right back to the insulin by giving him any dry food, or high carb. your cat is still a diabetic, but now he is a diet controlled diabetic. don't blow it with the diet ok. and expect to see high #'s if you test tomorow but give him a chance to bring it down. a diabetic will still have a hard time processing over dose of sugar...or carbs.
    good luck to you.
    lori

6. Charles English

George's BG was only 103 this morning, even after the corn syrup last night. But I'll stop with the dry food. Thanks for all of the advice everyone. It's much appreciated.

K, C & George

7. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Sounds like you never needed insulin at all, just a diet change, like my cat. I tried that first and it worked. I was terrified of hypo's.
    The vet probably didn't call back because his levels are good - under 100 is good! 73 is perfectly fine.
    Now put down that karo (please?) - you'll know when you need it. Adding carbs is making that pancerus work harder, and it is healing. Cut out the dry, feed low carb food and you might be another lucky one, never have to give insulin again.

Sounds like you're on your way. :)

8. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Well done.

For the next couple of weeks, test bg before food and and occasionally an hour or so after, that way you can check he is bringing his bg down himself.

Then you can either do random tests monthly or just be mindful of his food and waterintake overtime-hey presto diet controlled kitty.Way to go :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.