Confusing Numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Big Eyed Lieza, Dec 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Eyed Lieza

Big Eyed Lieza New Member

There has been two or three times in the last week or two that Lieza's numbers are no shot numbers. A few hours later she is crazy high. Should I give her half a dose instead? I go to work right after her shot time so I do not want her to go too low and unfortunately she has not been low on the weekends when I can be with her and check her blood sugar often.

I feed her Friskies Pate. Could it be that certain flavors affect her blood sugar more than others? Should I start keeping track of flavors of foods also?

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

I checked the SS and that was a bit odd for the low numbers to appear after 12 hours just before the Am insulin. They are however not alarmingly low.

I hope some of the Vetsulin experienced replies.

3. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Those lower pre-shot readings in the AM would suggest that sometime through the previous night, Lieza may have dropped to an even lower BG and the AM pre-shot number could be the BG starting to go back up. Higher numbers after a low are normal and are called bouncing.

It's critical to know how low a dose is dropping BG and you don't have many mid cycle tests. Our kitties also have a tendency to go lower at night than they do during the day. Since you are working and unable to get day time mid cycle tests, I would strongly suggest that you make it habit to get at an absolute minimum, a test before bed every night and if possible grab a couple of tests at night either +2/3 after shot and bedtime (depending on your shot time) or if you happen to get up during the night to grab a test then. On days off, I would also encourage you to try to get some tests in the +3 to +6 timeframe as that is usually when the lowest point in the cycle occurs for most kitties. Any data you can get however is helpful.

In the meantime, for safety sake, until you can get some mid cycle tests to see how low BG is dropping, I would reduce the dose to 1.25u if you have half unit markings on your syringes or if you are using the pen, drop the dose to 1u. Hopefully a reduced dose will smooth out the cycles a bit more but do try to get those night time tests in to see what Lieza is doing during the night cycle.

5. Big Eyed Lieza

Thank you! I will start a lower dose for her PM shot tonight. Any idea what would be causing this? It’s not every day so I wouldn’t assume remission or anything since it is just random times.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

Bounces, the higher readings after possible lows, can take up to 6 cycle to clear and from the data you do have, the lows this AM are exactly the 7th cycle since the last AM lower BGs. I think Lieza is bouncing which is a normal biological phenomenon over which we have no control. Bounces occur because BG falls to levels kitty has become unaccustomed to whether they are too low or not. Diabetics get used to being in higher BG range so when BG drops even to normal levels, they often bounce to try to bring BG back up to what the body now considers "normal". With time it generally settles down but right now without any mid cycle data, this is all speculation. If our theory is correct, we don't know how low she is going so better to back off on the dose a bit and get some more data to determine what your next steps should be.

7. Big Eyed Lieza

Thank you! I had a weird situation tonight also. I tested her while she was eating her Friskies Pate, and she was at 189 so I decided to test again right away and she went up to 262 so I went ahead and did a third time which read 376. I couldn’t decide with my monitor was malfunctioning or what so I tested myself 3 times and got 114, 114, and 120. Is it possible for her numbers to jump almost 200 in three minutes? I did end up giving her a shot because after 20 minutes she was at 399.

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

That does seem like a huge difference between those readings, especially between 189 and 376. Some of the increase could be food influence and I suppose some could be stress elevation from you messing with her while she was dining;). An unknown mystery to be sure although sometimes if you get too little or too much blood on the strip, it can cause some wonky numbers too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.