Considering changing insulin type: desperate for assistance

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley Baby & Michele, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hello everyone.

Harley is on Novolin N since 6/1/18. His numbers are terrible. I have increased to 3 units without any change. He still has a voracious appetite; gained 1/2 pound then lost it. His appetite did slow down for a few days but now he is always hungry. He only eats Fancy Feast now. He is on his 5th can of the day today, free feeding. His Ketones are negative. Before insulin he had DKA x 2. His attitude is normal.

I asked in the Novolin site about switching to Prozinc. Upon further research, I can afford Lantus or Levemir, and timing is not an issue.

Someone told me this journey is a marathon not a sprint. Unfortunately, I do not have much in the way of patience! It is Killing me to see such high numbers and constantly wondering about the effect on his little body. Also, I am terrified he might go into DKA again; after 2 episodes I don't think he would make it through another one.

I have read EVERYTHING on this board and on the general web about the various insulins for cats. My question is: what should I switch to??

After reading so much info my inclination is Lantus or Levemir as they seem to be longest acting. An Endocrine Vet, on line, liked Lantus 1st then Levemir 2nd. Concerned though that Lantus might burn.

I want to go to my Vet armed with a decision. My guess is I was put on Novolin for the cheap price.

So please, anyone, How Do I Make A Decision??

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus has the most scientific evidence based results, so if you're concerned about a fight, I'd probably go with the Lantus

Most cats tolerate Lantus fine....it's high doses that can sometimes sting, but we've also had cats on huge doses that never complained a bit.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I think a change to lantus or Levemir would be a good idea. If you live in the US You can get a good price on it by ordering from Marks Marine pharmacy in Canada.

Beck and tiffmaxee like this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I switched Mia from ProZinc to Levemir. I chose Levemir rather than Lantus due to the things I had read regarding stinging, skin twitching, etc. It seems that the majority of cats are on Lantus, so clearly, it works out fine for many, but I did not see any reason to chance it. ProZinc worked to get Mia into good numbers during mid-cycle, but she ended up in high numbers before every pre-shot. I gave it time (9 mos), but it just did not result in lower pre-shot numbers for her, so I wanted something even more long lasting. At this point, it is going well, and I am glad I switched.

Kris & Teasel and LauraMcK like this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The only I’ve used is lantus. It seems to be fine in normal doses but high dose kitties find it stings and often switch to lev. Lev often has a late nadir whereas usually lantus has a nadir at +4-7 if that makes a difference.

6. Harley Baby & Michele

Thank you all for your assistance. I think I will try Lantus, mostly as it has an earlier onset, I believe. I will see the Vet on Thursday and see what happens! I am glad to have found Mark's Marine for insulin; what a savings! Thank you.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  7. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

What cute Harley baby! My girl is a high dose kitty, she was on lantus up to 24u twice a day. We decided to switch to levemir, I now only give her 1 unit twice a day. Levemir has been a god send to us. I am getting my pre diabetic kitty back. But ECID.. I think lantus made my girl feel like poop.

8. LauraMcK

LauraMcK Member

I'm seeing the same with Prozinc at the moment but its only been 2 months. I get excited for a nice drop mid-cycle then AMPS is back way up and increasing the dose actually seems to raise his AMPS generally...makes no sense. I'm also thinking of switching.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You got better/lower BGs at lower (1/2 and 1 units). Thus, teh higher BGs ant the higher doses may be due to you using too high a dose.
    However, Lantus/Levemir are better insulin that N and changing is desirable. In any event I would go down to 1/2 unit/start at 1/2 unit with a new insulin

Beck likes this.
  10. Harley Baby & Michele

Holy cow Phoebes mama! I can't wrap my mind around 24 units/day!! Thank goodness we all have options. I thought about Prozinc first. Once I found Canadian Pharmacy with lower prices on Lantus/Levemir I thought those would be better options from what I have read.

11. Harley Baby & Michele

Hi Larry. I will definitely start low and slow when I change. I think the numbers were low initially because Harley was just getting over DKA and eating very poorly. Once his appetite started picking up his numbers shot up. His appetite, briefly, seemed to stabilize as he was not "starving". Past few days his appetite is voracious again and his water bowl empty this am! This leads me to be concerned he is really out of control again despite raise in insulin. Ketones negative, thank goodness. Who knows?? I just want to see him a little more normal. This "journey" sure is nerve racking!

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

IN that case I would start a new insulin at 1 unit twice daily.

13. allie.crain97

allie.crain97 New Member

Sawyer uses Lantus and its extremely easy and relatively affordable! He's on 2 units per day right now but the vet was talking about increasing his dose if his BG doesn't go down by the end of the week. I've never had a diabetic cat before and I had no problem using the Lantus pen with no experience.

Beck likes this.
  14. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Like others I would recommend Lantus. Katie actually went into remission for 3 years using Lantus. Vet originally put her on Novolin also. Novolin is lousy for cats, it's good that you are switching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.