Constant high numbers

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nada, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nada

Nada Member

Can someone please check my cat's SS?

I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. First he started on 2 units of lantus, and when I started home testing he got some crazy curves, so I reduced his dose to 1.5
    He lost a little weight and today he started getting lethargic and is drinking water even more. I don't get any low numbers.

So, should I increase his does again to 2 u and see what happens or remain like this a little more?

The blanks in the sheets are because I ran out of test strips and couldn't afford to buy any at that time.

I test his urine for ketones and there is none

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. Before I can suggest anything, I have a couple of questions. First, what type of food is Farafero eating? Type of food can make a huge difference in blood sugar numbers.

What type of test strips are you using? It's really hard to say what to do with the dose with the limited amount of data.

Are you using syringes with 1/2 unit markings on them? typically we'll change doses by 0.25 units at a time. Yes, you have to eyeball that size of dose.

3. Nada

Nada Member

Feeding him cooked meat, liver and chicken.
    I'm using a human glucometer, accuchek
    I'm using a 30 unit BD syringe with half markings.
    So I should wait a few more days to get more readings?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Is he eating any cat food? Cats need some supplements, like taurine. Sounds l.ike he's otherwise getting a good low carb diet.

I would try to get a couple more days of reading. Get at least a test before every shot, and if you can get one other each cycle, that will be good information. It's possible he's going lower on this dose on a cycle you aren't testing, then bouncing. That's very common for newly diagnosed cats.

Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

5. Nada

Nada Member

I'll get the readings.
    I occasionally feed him wet canned food but not a special type because they are really expensive here. I don't buy a specific brand but whatever I find at the pet store. Does the type matter?

6. LeeAnn (Lannie)& Freckles

LeeAnn (Lannie)& Freckles Member

Yes, canned food can vary greatly in carbohydrate content. Fancy Feast pates and Friskies classic pates are generally inexpensive and low carb, as well.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Where are you located? If you're in the US, we have an extensive list of canned foods we can direct you to. If you're somewhere else, the list is a lot shorter.

Also, feeding only human food will cause your cat to have extensive medical problems. Cats require certain supplements that are in low concentrations unless they are killing their prey. If canned food is too expensive, this site has a recipe for how to make raw (or partially cooked food) at home. There are also pre-mixes you can add to food that are available.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yes, type matters. We like to see that the carbs are under 10% for wet canned food. I am not sure where you are located or what is available to you.

If you want to cook the food, you do need to add the supplements that a cat would get if it were hunting and eating it's prey like taurine, and calcium , liver ( which you are feeding so that is good) and various vitamins and minerals.

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, this member is in Egypt. I wonder if Gurkan in Turkey might be able to help.

10. Nada

Nada Member

Thank you everyone! And yes, I'm in Egypt.
    Although friskies pate are still expensive to use as main diet, I will get it and and make it a part of his meals.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.