Constipated kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George and Bert, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

Hi
    My cat Cory, Bert's sister, is fourteen years old and on Furosimide daily. I don't think the drug is necessarily the problem, but could possibly contribute. What is the mildest and quickest way to relive her condition? It has been reoccurring off and on for two weeks. She is not a sugar cat.

Thanks

2. Darin & Charlie

Darin & Charlie Well-Known Member

3. Laura & Heffernan

Laura & Heffernan Member

We mix 1/8 tsp Miralax in to Heff's wet food daily or if needed twice daily.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

More than you ever wanted to know about feline constipation here.

And the diuretic (furosemide) is causing excess fluid to be urinated. This causes the GI tract to let more water return to the body, making the feces more dry, ie constipation. Discuss options with your vet - perhaps dose adjustment, perhaps routine use of a modest amount of Miralax or canned plain pumpkin (or frozen, plain, acorn squash, or baby food plain squash, too).

5. melba tee

melba tee Member

I am having success with Metamucil :)

6. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

How much Metamucil ? Any particular kind?

I'm using pumpkin with baby food chicken and a few drops of olive oil each meal with some Wellness canned chicken.

However, picked up a bottle of Lactulose from the Vets and gave 1cc orally yesterday at 2:00 pm and today she moved three large, very hard and dry rocks. Poor Cory,,happy now.

I also reduced the dose of Furosimide. I need a maintenance diet now. Thinking Metamucil, pumpkin and a little Olive Oil each day.

Thank you all for the info, Waiting to hear about how much Metamucil to use.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Be cautious when treating constipation. If your kitty is blocked, administering oral treatments can result in tearing of the GI tract.

8. melba tee

melba tee Member

I have been giving him 1/4 tsp twice a day. I give him the unflavoured Metamucil.

He vomited the pumpkin and the vet has ok'ed the Metamucil.

His poop used to be like little rocks. Now it is soft but not mushy.

9. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

Thank you!

I've been using a few drops of Olive Oil twice a day in her food. It seems like it helps a little. I wonder if Mineral Oil is better or if I even if I need to use it with the Met.

10. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

I use miralax with my cat remi. It works a charm, just 1/8 of a teaspoon dissolved in his food or a little water as kept him regular.

I am not sure I would continue with the olive oil in the long run. Call me paranoid but my remi suffered pancreatitis after getting up on the worktop and licking some sausage fat. Your cat may not be sensitive to fat or oil in the same way and I know pancreatitis in cats is not linked to fat and oil in the same way as it is for dogs but just something to be aware of maybe.

11. Karen & Rudy

Karen & Rudy Member

I have also used a little Miralax as needed, mixed with some water with great success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.