Constipated Kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by scienceofcats, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Hey guys. So Lola has developed some pronounced constipation. A few days ago, I thought she was starting to look a little bloated, but figured it was probably my imagination. Anyways, yesterday I caught her straining to poop over her litter box, and she struggled until she made a pretty hard-looking poop. Then she walked out and dropped another solid poop outside the box, and she kept licking her butt. Today, I watched and she strained less, but I think she’s still a bit constipated.

The first thing I figured it was is undertreated diabetes, as kitties overeat because their bodies are trying to make up for sugar not entering the cells efficiently. So today, I took a midday test. Her AMPS was 10.8 mmol/L (194 mg/dL) and I gave her 0.75 units of insulin. But her +6 bG was the same! 10.8 mmol/L (194 mg/dL). What the ****?!

She’s done this one other time that I tested in the middle of the day - she went from an AMPS of 11.7 mmol/L (211 mg/dL) to a +6 of 10.4 mmol/L (187 mg/dL). But then the next day, she went from a PMPS of 9.3 mmol/L (167 mg/dL) to a +3 of 6.3 mmol/L (113 mg/dL). What’s going on? Am I sometimes missing when I give her insulin? I can’t imagine it, but I’m going to make very sure that I see the needle go into her skin next time and get another test after a few hours.

Also, I’m not sure if it’s related, but she has major dental problems. Some of her back teeth have already fallen out or are loose, so she’s having dental work done on Wednesday.

What do you guys think? Insufficient insulin dose? Inadvertent fur shots? Effects of dental disease? I’m very overwhelmed and confused... I’m a PhD student preparing for my qualifying exam, so I am working around the clock while simultaneously dealing with this... help.

2. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I doubt not enough insulin and constipation are strongly related. Teeth and diabetes, however, are in most cats.

This is the go-to site: http://www.felineconstipation.org/

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Hi! I'll try and answer, good to meet you and Lola!

Diabetic kitties sadly get constipated frequently, or so I've learned the hard way - 2 vet visits, a 2 day stay, 2 manual extractions, 2 enemas, etc. Not good! Just giving a ton of extra water I've found hasn't worked so well, it HELPS but doesn't ...have you tried Lactulose from the vet, or Miralax, etc...?

It really does help!

I see you're giving Prozinc, but no, so long as you give the shot the same time each day - this is what her body is doing with it. If you think you're giving "fur shots" - I have some suggestions. How hard is your baby's skin to "tent"..? With Fena, I've had to move LOWER than her shoulder - almost between her shoulder blade and her elbow (line of sight wise) to tent, and I can FEEL the renewed tissue connections so she'll squirm a bit, not too comfortable while I "find the spot".

Once I do I pinch with my thumb and ring/pinky fingers to hold the skin "out" and use my index and middle to keep feeling the pocket - once the cap is off the needle, I guide it right to that pocket BETWEEN my thumb/ring/pinky pinch - horizontal. Pull up as much as you can, and go horizontal to their side.

she ONLY gets .75? WOW... that's a good difference for that small amount!! but yeah I'd say she might need an increase, BUT..

Her teeth could definitely be troubling her, the sooner she gets a dental, the BETTER - but be warned, afterwards, she might be hard to feed due to some pain/soreness. If you have a food processor/blender, consider blending her food so she can just lick at it. Oddly enough, she'll eat "faster" that way too - so watch for that. If she goes too fast she might get bloat (gas) - so for the first few feedings if she goes quick, rub her tummy - jiggle it a little, massage it. You can make her burp. ;)

I don't know enough to suggest an increase in dose, but honestly, to guess.. I'd suggest going to 1 unit but with her teeth, you'll need to watch CLOSE, especially after her dental. Hopefully others will be responding. :bighug:

5. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I have also used plain canned pumpkin, no pie filling just pumpkin. 1/8 of teaspoon added to wet food. 2x a day. You can take the pumpkin put it in ice cube tray and put in freezer then take out a cube at a time to use. Saves waste.

6. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Yeah just be careful - pumpkin adds bulk too, and sometimes they can smell it in their food. Fena did, and I was screwed before I started - but Mao, he's had looser stool consistently since the wet food switch plus more water, and he LOVES pumpkin, it's helping him slow but sure. :) 1/8 for him, 1x daily as Phoebes above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.