? constipated

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by racn1320, Aug 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racn1320

racn1320 Member

hasnt gone in about 36hrs, her last bowel movement was a little rough i think, anything i can goive her to help her go?

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can give Miralax or canned pumpkin. If you use the pumpkin, make sure it is not pumpkin pie filling. The only ingredient should be pumpkin.

3. racn1320

racn1320 Member

thx! im not to famalair with this can I buy it anywhere? how much do you recommend to sprinkle on food? If she doesnt go by time I wake up in am,ill go get some. her last movement was a messy one,which makes me think she is holding it in bc i had to wash her behind??

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I use the generic Miralax (polyethylene glycol 3350). Much less expensive than the name brand Miralx. I would start with 1/8 to 1/4 tsp mixed with every meal (assuming two meals a day)

5. racn1320

racn1320 Member

im assuming i can get this at a grocery store??

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes, in the pharmacy section.

7. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Update. She went on her own overnight!!!! not sure who is relieved more or not me or her lol

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  8. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

My Jerry has had major problems with constipation in the past and was actually on a special fiber dry food for a couple of years before his diabetes diagnosis. I have replaced the dry food with plain pumpkin and a quarter teaspoon of Miralax twice a day and so far so good. The pumpkin is good for diarrhea and constipation believe it or not. I don't know where you are located so not sure plain pumpkin will be available to you in canned form. BTW could you possibly set up your signature so that we have the basic information about your pretty cat? To do this just go to your name at the top right hand side of the page, click and you will get a drop down box. On the right you will see signature click and fill in the information. Don't forget to save when done.
    Information that we nearly all use is Cat's name (and yours if you like) sex, weight, date of diagnosis, type of insulin you are using, testing meter type and if your cat has any other medical issues. Your location can be very useful as we have members from all over the world. It would be very helpful to us when helping you to have this information available and saves us having to ask and you telling us every time you post a question.
    So happy your Kitty pooped, funny how these things make us happy isn't it?:)

9. racn1320

racn1320 Member

live here in the usa. im hoping this was a one time thing,i had her on some sort of morphine for her arthritis and read it causes constipation, so no more of that

Jerry dutchboy likes this.
  10. Jerry dutchboy

Good to know. Keep it in mind for if it ever happens again. Yay for poo.

11. racn1320

racn1320 Member

maybe i can get some sleep now, i woke up 5 times last night checking on her, feel like a zombie lol

Jerry dutchboy likes this.
  12. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

:cat: :bighug:

13. Jerry dutchboy

Know that feeling. Got about three hours last night. No particular reason, just could not sleep. Had to work this morning so am zonked.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  14. (GA) Gypsy's Parent

(GA) Gypsy's Parent Member

My cat has constipation and vet prescribed lactulose 2ml x 2/day and the cat hates it. I stopped the lactulose after I saw good poops, but the constipation returned. As I'm already torturing the poor cat enough, I'm going to get some generic miralax and mix that in with her food!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.