Constipation AGAIN

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peppersmom72, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

I think Pepper is constipated again.

Pepper has always been a constipated kitty her whole life..... (used lactulose and catlax). Right before she was diagnosed with FD, her potty habits had gotten better (probably from copious amount of water she was drinking).

Now that her BG is on its way down (slowly) and she is drinking less water (I still add water to her food), constipation is creeping back in. (no poop, not wanting to eat).

Someone had suggested that I can give miralax, but I'm not sure how much. Can someone tell me how much to give her in her food?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Catinfo.org says:
    • Miralax (or its generic equivalent): Again, it increases fecal water content without adding bulk to the stool. Most feline veterinary practitioners like using Miralax much better than lactulose which also adds water but not bulk. Miralax is tasteless and can be mixed with the food. This is much better than trying to get sweet, sticky lactulose into a cat! Start with 1/8 tsp once or twice-daily mixed into the food and increase from there to get the desired fecal consistency. Most cats do well on no more than 1/4 tsp twice-daily but it is safe to go higher. If your cat’s stools are too loose, lower the dosage.

JanetNJ and Kris & Teasel like this.
  3. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Will Pepper eat canned pumpkin mixed in with her food?

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I second Miralax but I'd start with 1/8th tsp twice a day and move to 1/4th if poop is still dark and hard. It is tasteless, can be mixed with food or water. I mix it with about 1.5cc's of water and give it to Snow using an oral dosing syringe.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.