Constipation and unable to urinate on his own

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sutra67, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sutra67

Sutra67 New Member

Hi All

New to this forum. I have a 17 year old maine coon named Sutra. He was diagnosed around the 1 year mark so have been dealing with diabetes for a long time. He is on Lantus - 1 unit twice daily.
    He has also developed neuropathy over the last couple of years to which I am trying to treat with Zobaline and of course by keeping him as regulated as possible
    About 2 weeks ago, he received his rabies shot (1 yr Imrab) and quickly went down hill from there. Stopped eating (had to syringe feed) lethargic and just not himself at all. Took him to a new vet as he had stopped pooping as well and was quite bloated. He was drinking and urinating fine at this point.
    He has been at the vet going on day 3 now as he is severely constipated - on fluids (IV) & having multiple enemas but now he cannot urinate on his own > has to be expressed manually. Vets thoughts are either bowel so full pressing on bladder, stress from just going through all of this, or nerve damage. They are still trying to get out all the poop!
    Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? I am so beside myself right now

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness that sounds awful! I have no experience with anything like this but you and your cat have my sympathies and prayers.

Sutra67 likes this.
  3. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh poor Sutra... Sorry, we've had constipation problems in our diabetics before, but nothing that Miralax or enemas couldn't solve with time.

At least he is at the vet getting help. I hope that something resolves soon. And maybe others here will have ideas.

Hoping for the best,
    Sandi&Whisper.

Sutra67 likes this.
  4. Sutra67

Sutra67 New Member

Unfortunately the love of my life has passed on. Had to put him down yesterday. Thanks for your kind words. Very hard decision to make yet he went downhill really fast after the rabies vaccine. RIP Sutra

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Oh no that's awful. I'm so so sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking. My partners dog had a bad rabies shot when we were teens... Poor dog was perfectly healthy about 5 years old had the bad shot and a week later died.

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no... I saw your post on Facebook yesterday and figured that was you, but since I wasn't positive, I didn't respond here.

He certainly was a beautiful boy. You were his angel, and now he is yours. RIP sweet baby cat_wings>o

Sutra67 likes this.
  7. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

So sorry for your loss. RIP dear Sutra. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Sutra67 likes this.
  8. Sutra67

Sutra67 New Member

Yes it was me. Thank you so much! He was so beautiful inside and out. Gonna miss him huge

9. Sutra67

Sutra67 New Member

The more I am reading about rabies vaccinations the more I wish I had of said NO! especially for a diabetic cat. I can't go back though just forward.
    Thank you for your condolences. It means a lot to me:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.