Constipation, needs fiber?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Slashy & Rick, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slashy & Rick

Slashy & Rick Member

Hello.. Slashy is a 12 year old mainecoon. Diabetic for years. Only started home testing and cut dry food last october. See SS http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... haXc&hl=en

He has been on a laxative for some time now but doesnt seem to be helping. I add some water to his food everytime he eats. His turds are very large and hard. I think he needs fiber but any suggestions welcome. I have heard about pumpkin but that is a carb, is it not?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Rick

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi There,

What kind of laxative are you using? Lots of folks on this board have had luck with Miralax. It is an osmotic meaning it pulls water into the colon to soften the stool, so you would still need to add water to the food when possible.

Cats really dont "need" fiber.. it can work for some kitties but if your Slashy has large poop already, fiber will just bulk up the stool and make even more poop.

Changing from dry to canned has likely decreased the volume of poop, because Slashy can make better use of the species appropriate diet, leaving less waste. This also means that it might stay in there longer.

If hes been having ongoing problems with this, you might have a vet check to see if his kidneys are ok (which could cause dehydration). And, I mention this for information, and hope it doesnt scare you too much, but my Merlyn had constipation issues that culminated in an ER visit to get him unplugged, and it was discovered then that he had a heart problem (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) that was on the severe side already. I believe that he always had some constipation issues but that the heart condition made him weaker, and unable to push out the poo as well as a healthy cat. Maine Coons are prone to heart conditions, which is why I mention this.

All my links are on my old computer but if you search in the search box I know there was a recent constipation thread on here.

Hope Slash is ok.

3. Slashy & Rick

Slashy & Rick Member

Hi Lisa,

I do believe the laxative is mirlax (not sure, bottle is home). He does have cardiomyopathy. Diagnosed many years ago. 15 mg of diltazem per day and 2 baby asprin per week for many years. By all accounts it is completely managed. His most recent blood work has shown liver to be fine as well. He has had a recent bout with pancreatitis so we have been watching his blood counts and behavior quite closely.

thanks for your input!!!

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

If the constipation is ongoing, you need to have his checked out by a vet. Some types of constipation can be improved by fiber, but it's severely contraindicated in others. As Lisa said, definitely get the kidneys checked out. You may also want to bring your vet a copy of this article here http://www.theveterinarian.com.au/clinicalreview/article757.asp on the managment of constipated cats. Table 2 has a wonderful list of different drugs that help relieve constipation in different ways, which should give you options to choose from -- but the exact approach will depend on exactly what's going on. And definitely get the kidneys checked.

5. Slashy & Rick

Slashy & Rick Member

Thanks Gywn, printing this now and will read it later. Thank you again.

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Miralax is a white powder...tasteless, odorless....mix into wet food and add some water also.

1/2 tsp 2x/day is the usual starting dose, adjust up or down as needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.