Constipation?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Deborah & Gadget, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deborah & Gadget

Deborah & Gadget Member

Hi, I wanted some general cat feedback and since my cat is a diabetic I will start here.
    Gadget had a chart but he’s been diabetic 3 1/2 years and is stable on less than 1 unit / 1 X per day. He gets tested 2 or 3 times a day and if needed I might give insulin/ lantus 2x day. I write it all down but the computer chart got lost along the way. Sorry!
    His problem is change in bowel movements.
    He eats the same high protein rabbit canned food always at least for 2 years. Protein only treats. No changes.
    And suddenly, after 14 years of soft smelly poo 2X day , he’s changed to small dry black oderless poo. He’s a fairly large cat: stable 11 pounds and eats about 10oz food a day mixed with water.
    Hard to complain about it but it’s so different I can’t help but worry.
    I have seen Dr Lisa’s poo photos but I’m interested in feedback from others experiences.
    This has been going on for 3 weeks at least.
    He does not seem to be straining or any signs of constipation.
    His last vet visit/bloodwork was 2 weeks ago and at that time I was not concerned.
    No issues showed up and in fact his kidney numbers slightly improved.
    Should I be worried or is this a good thing?
    Thanks!!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if it’s something to worry about or not, hopefully others will come along that know more about it than I do. The fact that his recent bloodwork was good is great. Was he having this kind of poop then? HERES a great site about cat poop. Maybe there’s some info in it that can help.

3. Deborah & Gadget

Deborah & Gadget Member

Thanks for the information and the reply!
    I took Gadget back to my very kind vet and we tossed a lot of info back and forth and think we came up with the answer.
    My kidney cat died about 6 months ago. She and her late sister were very dominant over Gadget who came to our house as tiny kitten. They bullied him constantly but he loved them.
    But the main thing is I had stopped giving Azydol when she died. I started again after about 4 months. Just because I figured it couldn’t hurt him. We decided that less stress plus the azydol resulted in what is actually a “normal” cat stool instead of his usual smelly, loose poo.

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Sometimes the water from the food/drink does not filter thru the proper intestines and bypasses the "poop" and therefore causes harder poop as you described. It will be drier and make it difficult for the cats to poop, and then it can get worse and become chronic constipation..........Harley, my civvie has this issue and he is healthy.......but the fluid somehow bypassed the poop department so I give him a product similar to Miralax (1/8Tsp twice a day mixed with food) it softens the poop so he doesn't strain or have dry/hard poop which will cause the constipation. It's okay with diabetic cats and many on here use it..........Harley had to have an enema as he went too long and then got some blockage which made it even harder to poop...........so now after close to a year or more on the Miralax (I use Restoralax) he's fine and never had an issue again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.