contagious chin acne

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Holly and Nanoo, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly and Nanoo

Holly and Nanoo New Member

New kitty may have introduced something, the two older cats 3yrs and 10yrs. It's on the chin and acne like, somwhat swollen. Possibly from plastic dishes? Is it acne, or fungus? There are puss filled zits and black heads on the chin of all three cats at home. One is over it now and not getting it again, little kitty only has black heads and 3yr old is almost over it. Tried acne topical stuff, peroxide and honey since it is antibacterial.

2. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Holly,

Is the honey you are using 'all natural from the comb'? That is what I have found to be best to get rid of fungal infections. Many years ago, I put raw honey on fungus I had on my foot from being on too many antibiotics when I had Rheumatic Fever, and the fungus turned black, and dried up and fell off my foot. Sounds gross, but that was the best thing I ever used. It had to be raw honey though.

I had read that in a Reader's Digest article about 35 years ago! A man used raw honey on his wife's arm when they lived in a secluded place where they could not easily get to emergency care, and when she cut herself badly, he put it on the wound and took her to the hospital further away, but I remember reading that and how it actually saved her life!

I have a tuxedo cat right now, that has the black on her white chin, and maybe I should try that myself again. Hope all works well for your kitties.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My vet shaves the area and then cleans it daily with an antiseptic such as Betadine (iodine solution). It also helps to squeeze the puss and blackhead out. Sometimes a needle is necessary to help drain the local areas (hair follicles). In some cases systemic antibiotics are required.

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I've never heard of an epidemic of chin acne before. But it might be the plastic dishes. Try glass or stainless steel. Someone here uses small paper plates and throws them away.

5. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

One of my cats gets outbreaks of acne fairly often but has never given it to the other one. First thing I did was switch from plastic to stainless and ceramic bowls(as everyone else has said). My vet always tells me to soak my cat's chin in water that is as 'warm' as he can take it 2X a day, clean it with Nolvasan (veterinary surgical cleanser) once a day, and to use Tresaderm on the lesions. The problem is usually gone in less than 2 weeks.

Good luck :)

6. sheylena

sheylena Guest

How long does acne last without using medicine? I've always wondered what happens if when you get acne you didn't use any special medicine and just kept washing your face only 1-2 times a day. Would the acne eventually go away or would it just sit there forever?

7. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

I use cornstarch (dry, rubbed into the beard area) for my Charlie's occasional acne outbreak. That's good for white cats. I've read that the alternative for dark-colored cats is fuller's earth. I would also use occasional peroxide. Plastic bowls are definitely a common cause of acne. Maybe switch to glass or stainless steel and see if that helps.

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I've used witch hazel for my cat's acne. You can find it in the first aid aisle of the store with the rubbing alcohol and peroxide. Combing the chin fur backwards with a fine toothed comb will remove the black specks.

9. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

It can be an allergic response to something, like plastic dishes, but might be something else. Maybe evaluate anything new in the house the cats use, designed for them or not.

Its basically excess sebum.. have there been any food changes? higher fat food or something?

Occassionally Conor and Carly get the black stuff, and usually I use witch hazel also, but Carly has massively major stud tail and I have to do rubbing alcohol..only thing that dries her stud tail/acne out. Be careful about any swelling tho, because both Conor and Carly have had infected glands or follicles and needed antibiotics to get the infection down. when its bad like that I got Pyoben Gel from the vet.. apply and let dry, then warm compress soak the resulting black crust off when ready to reapply and repeat.

Oh, and the other contagious black stuff is fleas/flea dirt.. so a new kitty might have brought in some pesky critters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.