? Contagious

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by racn1320, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racn1320

racn1320 Member

It will prob be a while until i get a cat,since i just had to put mine down. But wondered on the litter boxes, ive cleaned them but always wondered,should i get a new one with a new cat? Not sure if diabetus and kidney failure could be contagious via the litter boxes???

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry you had to make that decision about Bristol. Itis so hard.:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I hope the memories will give you comfort.
    Fly free Bristol and land softly at the rainbow bridge:rb_icon:cat_wings>ocat_wings>o
    You were very much loved.

3. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I cant wait to be with her again,i feel so empty without her,im here watching tv now amd she isnt next to me like she usually is. Miss her

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It is very hard to say goodbye to our beloved kitties. :bighug::bighug:
    Try and take some comfort knowing she is at peace..

(GA) Gypsy's Parent likes this.
  5. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I will,she went very peacefully at the vet and they were all so nice.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That's always a comfort to know they were peaceful at the end..And I'm so glad the staff were so nice. They would know how much you loved Bristol.
    You might like add / change your subject line to let others know what has happened.

7. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I actually went to a diffrent vet to put her down. That will be my next vet for sure,i thanked them for how they were

8. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

no one really knows what precipitates diabetes -- and there's no true cure, only careful management -- but I've never heard any whisper of contagion

the effects are known, the systems involved are known, treatments are known

it's an internal thing, having to do with hormones, with internal organs, with genetics, and with diet, especially if it's Type 2, which is what our sugarcats seem to have

however, if it will make you feel better, you can scrub out the litterboxes with chlorine bleach (then rinse thoroughly) , or with white vinegar, or spray them with an enzyme cleaner made especially for cats

or get new ones

I can sympathize with how you're feeling, I lost Krispy cat to hepatic lipidosis, the vets tried but couldn't save him, and found I couldn't live without Vitamin P (purr)

which is why I adopted Catcat (and his companion Mia), soon afterwards -- they were being rehomed because of youngest son's asthma

they came with their own litterboxes and scratchpost ... that made it easy .. they didn't have to smell another cat in private places

no cat can be replaced, there are always more who need to be loved, each is an individual with their own habits and preferences

none of my pet cats will ever eat kibble again .. the barncats must but it's a minor part of their diet, they eat what they choose to catch, and the adjoining forest is a smorgasbord for them

9. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Diabetes is a physiological disease and is not contagious, and unless there was some type of bacterial or viral reason for the kidney failure, it shouldn’t be contagious either.
    So sorry about your sweet baby cat_wings>o

10. (GA) Gypsy's Parent

(GA) Gypsy's Parent Member

I know how you feel losing your best friend. It's heartbreaking. But it's the price we agree to pay when we adopt a kitty or doggo or whole host of other critters. We can give them lots of love and a good life and be thankful of the time we have together. You did your best for Bristol and that should be a comfort.

I only replace litter boxes when they have been really scratched up and the litter sticks badly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.