continued from welcome page Magellan's new life

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia Rae, Jun 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

1. Hello all my name is Julia my fur baby is magellan he was just diagnosed. He will be starting treatment and I'm felling a bit overwhelmed and scared. Will learn what insulin he will be taking and getting testing supplies any advise is very welcome and wanted.

Yesterday at 8:07 PM Edit Report
      #1 Reply
    2. [​IMG]
      BJM
      Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
      - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
      - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
      - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
      - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

BJM, Columbus, OH | Gracie (GA 05/30/2015) | Spitzer (GA 02/24/2012).
      Glucometer Notes | Secondary Monitoring Tools | Vet Interview Topics
      Yesterday at 8:24 PM Report
      #2 Like Reply
    3. [​IMG]
      julia rae
      Thank you for your quick response, the insulin he being started on is novalin n . Magellans sugars where 550, I have no idea what novalin n is if it is long lasting or what. Thank you for your info on using a human meter.

Yesterday at 8:53 PM Edit Delete Report
      #3 Reply
    4. [​IMG]
      Larry and Kitties
      Novalin N is a poor choice for cats since it only lasts 8-10 hours,

Larry and FDs MurrFee (Levemir&BCP PZI), Dulce (OTJ after a month), Badger (ProZinc&N) and Patches II (Lantus) and GAs Grey Ghost, Bailey, Mario, Sammy, Twige, Mitten, Tonis, Smokey, Patches, Lightning, and Thunder. Many Civis and one dog Raggy. Member since 2003
      Today at 9:13 AM Report
      #4 Like Reply
    5. [​IMG]
      BJM
      Really important note: insulin doses are adjusted by the nadir, the lowest glucose post shot. This is when you want to closely monitor for going too low, especially with a harsh insulin like Novalin. Test about 3-4 hours after the shot. Many vets start the dose too high. More than 1 unit when not yet home testing is potentially risky for your cat.
      If you must use Novalin, you may find that giving insulin about every 8 hours will control the glucose better.

Today at 2:40 PM Report
      #5 Like Reply
    6. [​IMG]
      julia rae
      Ok thanks for the responses Magellan is home from a day at the vet and the dosage the vet wants me to use seems crazy high to me,, 3 units am and 3 pm. I am also looking for a less expensive place to get the meds at a dollar a unit i almost freaked, I am a low income disabled cat slave. any and all advise is welcome I will also be contacting vet in the am about finding a less expensive med, Any and all advice is welcome and wanted
      Julia and Magellan

47 minutes ago Edit Delete Report
      #6 Reply
    7. [​IMG]
      BJM
      New
      Check out BCP PZI insulin. Your vet calls in the Rx and you can make arrangements directly with them.

What meds? We do not recommend oral diabetes meds for cats as they limit the chances of getting to a diet controlled state.

Many folks purchase Lantus or Levemir from Canada which can halve the cost. If getting the 5 pack of pens is still too steep, you can try local chain pharmacies and see if they would sell you 1 pen at a time (3 mL or 300 units).

Last edited: 35 minutes ago
      45 minutes ago Report
      #7 Like Reply
    8. [​IMG]
      julia rae
      New
      Magellan is on insulin novalin n...will look into it thanks much and will see if the vet will talk to the people. transferring this to the main blog page as i dont wish to break rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.