? Conversion for using U-100 syringes to give B12 injections

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by manxcat419, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

My vet has agreed that I can try Rosa with some B12 injections to see if it does anything to help her slight anemia. I gave her her first weekly shot, but the needles they've given me are much longer and thicker than the insulin ones and she doesn't like them at all!

Is it possible for me to use the leftover U-100 syringes I've got to give these shots? If my calculations are correct...she's been prescribed 0.25ml per week by sub-q injection. If I use a U-100 syringe, this would be the equivalent of drawing 25 units with an insulin syringe? Can someone please check my calculation and also confirm if it's possible to give the shot this way?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A U-100 syringe is marked so 0.01 mL = 1 unit (100 units per mL)
    So, if you want 0.25 mL you would, indeed, draw up 25 units (25 * 0.01 =0.25 mL)

manxcat419 likes this.
  3. manxcat419

Perfect, thank you @BJM

I was fairly sure, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't messed up the calculation - I wouldn't want to accidentally overdose her! :eek:

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I completely understand. My friend misread a syringe once and gave Spitzer 10 units instead of 1. He survived that ... $2,000+ later.

5. manxcat419

Ouch! I'm glad to hear Spitzer survived the mistake, but correcting accidents sure does come with a big price tag! I am going to switch to the insulin syringes now though - no point upsetting her with a big needle when she doesn't even feel those short 31 ga. ones. :)

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

"Excess"" B vitamins are "peed out" so it's a very safe supplement

7. manxcat419

Thanks Chris - the vet did say that's the only reason they went with my request to try it. Apparently, I'm now allowed to request something that I think might help even though they were doubtful it will do much good! Though with her kidneys the way they are, if I can keep the strain of dealing with anything extra off them, I will do. :)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.