Converting from Caninsulin to Lantus!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by asoolty, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asoolty

asoolty Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

I need help to convert my baby cat to lantus ?

I need some tips...

currently she's under Caninsulin 3 units x 2 times a day every 12 hrs

what i've been doing "under vet's instructions" I take 10 units, and mix with 90 unit of solution to lighten?

do i have to do this with lantus aswell? and for startup how many unites i need to start with ? 1 or 1/2 ??

waiting for an answer..

tc

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

You cannot dilute Lantus (my understanding). Lantus is handled differently and is more
    fragile. You do not roll or shake it, for example.

Probably, you should start over with 1unit of Lantus 2x per day.

Lantus is a U-100 insulin, and Caninsulin is a U40 insulin, so you MUST use insulin syringes
    for U-100 insulin...which is what people use and can be purchased at regular pharmacies.

Please go to our Insulin Support Group for Lantus (one of the forums here on FDMB), and
    read their sticky postings.

One thing you should know right away is to get your vet to write the prescription for
    Lantus cartridges or pens.

Lantus has a much shorter useful life after opening. And is a lot more expensive.

If you get the 10ml vial --- which contains 1,000 units, you will use only a small part of it
    in 1-2 months, then have to throw it out. It loses it's potency.

Instead, get the 3ml cartridges. You have to purchase 5 at a time. You open one cartridge
    at a time and will most likely be able to use most of it before needing to open another cartridge.

You use regular insulin syringes to draw the insulin from the small stopper under the cap.

If you are used to injecting DILUTED Caninsulin, you will find that 1-3 units of Lantus is a very tiny
    amount indeed.

3. asoolty

thank you very much for your reply

I will forward this post to lantus forum .. thank you again

and no need to dilute . this is good . but will be fore difficult to take 1 unit with the syringe ,,

for the U-100 i'm already using this one right now with the Caninsulin...

and for the price, I can get the Lantus for free in my country, while it is so difficult to find Caninsulin :?

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

please remove the candle icon before you go.

it is reserved for a kitty that has passed, we dont want to alarm everyone!

cross post from LL:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21744

5. asoolty

Yes sorry .. the forum has changed a lot since my last visit .. I also lost my previews account..

no candles for my baby :?

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

No need to re-direct the post to the Lantus Forum...just go over there and read their
    tutorial about Lantus. Join the group if you want to.

What country are you in...free Lantus, even for a kitty ?

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hey Karen,

I just added the Lantus link to asoolty's thread there in case anyone needs to quickly cross-view replies.

Asoolty,
    are you home testing as well?

it would help to know what diet your kitty is on as well, so others can guide you along here and in the Lantus forum.

8. asoolty

Thanks for your reply and I appreciate that you are trying to help me :) thank you guys

I only give her Fancy Feast Wet-food

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

hi there, I remember you from the old board - can't wait til you get her picture posted here, I remember she is SOOOO pretty!!! that is awesome you can get Lantus, I remember you had a hard time getting insulin before... I use PZI so can't give you any advice, but just wanted to say hello & wish you well.... so many cats are doing well on Lantus, hopefully you will find it works well for her. :D

10. asoolty

Ohh hi there .. this is so sweet that somebody is remembering me.. i always feel kinda lost in here ;D

Hi again my friend.. I will get her picture ASAP i promise..

Cant wait to shift to Lantus.. I was able to get 2 vials of caninsulin last winter from Toranto,, and their almost done!

So how is you're baby doing?? :D

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

LOL, I lived in Egypt for a year (ages ago) & still miss it, so you stuck in my mind. :D (even though I know you don't even live all that close to there, but still - a lot closer than I do!). And I remember she likes to hop in the shower with you now & then, and that is so cute!!! My kitties would never dream of doing that! Bix is doing well, thanks for asking - his pancreas works somewhat, but he still seems to need insulin, so we keep plugging away with it.

12. asoolty

hehe now i know :p Egypt is nice ... totally unique culture! they say if you drink from Nile's water you will always return .. so lets see ;D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.