Cooking chicken for sugar kitties?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, Jan 7, 2018.

1. shelaghc

shelaghc Member

Because of Jester's obsession with medium carb foods, I thought I'd give a try with some real chicken for him occasionally.

I've seen some websites with instructions for cooking chicken for cats, but wanted to check in with folks here first.

FTR - I'm vegetarian so most omnivore items aren't in my pantry. All my broths are home-made and vegetable-based, which currently includes the forbidden onion.

I picked up a small, low-priced package of skinless boneless chicken breasts from Aldi's today (that was a *very* weird feeling....) to experiment with.

Thoughts? Recipes?

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I cut my breasts in 1" slices (I know - YUCK!) then just slow boil mine in plain water until they just turn fully white. Remove onto plate and let cool. Cut or pull into chunks with forks. I use the water for their food or just let them drink it. When cool, store in fridge.

shelaghc likes this.
  3. Chris & China

Chris & China Well-Known Member

you can throw them on a baking sheet, bake for about 15 minutes @ 350, let them cool and then cut or tear them up into bite sized pieces.....put most in the freezer and leave some in the fridge.

Take out of freezer as needed

shelaghc likes this.
  4. shelaghc

shelaghc Member

Thanks @Squeaky and KT (GA) and @Chris & China
    Maybe I'll try both ways and see which Jester likes.

Hoping this helps a bit. Getting Jester to eat even a quarter can of low-carb food can take over half an hour. He'll happily munch on medium-carb food and go through half to three quarters of a can in just fifteen to twenty minutes.

If I can get him to eat anything else low carb with the same enthusiasm as the medium carb stuff, it'll be worth the extra effort.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

6. shelaghc

shelaghc Member

7. FurBabiesMama

I use a very small amount of olive oil on the pan. I have not used butter.

8. shelaghc

shelaghc Member

Is butter not healthy for diabetic cats?

9. FurBabiesMama

I have no idea. Never researched it. Maybe try Googling it and see what you find.