Corduroy never sits all the way down anymore

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by blove7, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blove7

blove7 Member

Hi all, it's me again! Has anyone ever noticed that his or her cat doesn't sit all the way down on his/her butt anymore? Corduroy only sits halfway down, as if it's painful to sit completely down. I'm sure this has something to do with the neuropathy, which I've been treating him for with Zobaline since September 28th, but just wondering if anyone else has witnessed this?

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

My GA civvie Mario never put his butt on the floor to sit, either. I don't know exactly when the problem started, but it was when he was older. He was pretty arthritic and was on Adequan for that. The Adequan helped tremendously, but it never fixed the sitting issue. I'm not sure if it was his back or hips that prevented him from sitting.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I don't think this is neuropathy.

Since you mentioned you're going to take Corduroy in to the vet due to the constipation, I'd ask about both arthritis and if there's possibly something going on with a disk or spine.

4. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

you mentioned another xray.... arthritis will show up there. Adequan has made a huge difference for mine... and her tiny dose of bupe nightly.

Prayers for some answers for Corduroy.

5. blove7

blove7 Member

Thanks everyone! I will definitely ask about the arthritis and if Adequan would help. I didn't know that arthritis showed up in x-rays...good to know! :smile:

6. blove7

blove7 Member

Hi all,

I took Corduroy to the vet on Friday. He said that there is nothing wrong with his colon and that, through x-rays, he could see that there is only a little bit of feces in his colon, so this is all good. However, he said that since he is older (almost 16) his muscles around his anus aren't working properly to get the feces out (it was kind of stuck in his rectal wall). He gave him an enema that day and kept him for a few hours until he pooped.

He said that arthritis definitely could be the culprit for him not sitting down all the way and gave me a pain med to try for the weekend to see if it helps. So far, I can't tell because he's only been laying down when he's at rest. The pain med is called Gabapentin.

He also gave me a med to loosen his stool; it's called Lactulose. So far, I only see one little poop in the litterbox and I'm not sure who it's from, Corduroy or Joe. Corduroy seems to be acting fine though, save for a little sleepiness when I give him the pain med.

I am also changing over to Primal raw cat food because I'm afraid I'm not getting all the nutrients they need in the raw food I make, even though it's the recipe from Dr. Lisa Pierson. When I look at other raw cat foods, they seem to have a lot more nutrients and vitamins than I'm incorporating.

I hope all is well with your kitties! :mrgreen:

Thanks for reading!

7. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Brigitte:

Cinco doesn't always sit all the way down, either. He does have neuropathy, and is also on zobaline. I'm not sure what's causing it. I've wondered about his anal glands, as he sometimes drags his butt when he gets out of the box. I'm going to ask the vet next time he's in and I'll post about it.

I hope the meds your vet gave you help Corduroy (which is a great name for a cat, btw!). :D

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Brigette:

You may want to discuss an alternative to lactulose with your vet. It is recommended that it be used with caution with diabetics since it contains galactose, which is a form of sugar. I would suggest keeping an eye on Corduroy's BG to see if the lactulose is causing his numbers to rise.

9. blove7

blove7 Member

Hi Sienne,

I think it's already causing a rise in his blood sugar :sad: Our vet told us that although it sounds like it would raise his sugar (lactulose, that is), it wouldn't. Argh! Have you heard of any alternatives? Like I said in my previous post, I've already tried olive oil everyday, Miralax and squash, and none of those worked, unfortunately. I feel like we may just have to up his dosage, which I hate to do, but...

10. blove7

blove7 Member

Okay, so now I've ordered some liquid ducolate sodium, the generic name for Colace, a stool softener. Our vet told us that we should try this instead since his blood sugar is rising on the Lactulose. We'll give it a go!

11. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Brigitte, my boy Checkers, also could not sit all the way down. It was due to a spinal problem
    He had bupe for the pain. It helped greatly.
    I hope you get Corduroy's problem diagnosed and he gets to feel better.

Barb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.