? cosequin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dpl_hcm, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpl_hcm

dpl_hcm Member

could cosequin joint supplement cause my cats suger to go up?

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi, I don't think Cosequin raises blood glucose. (At least, I don't think it did with my kitty).
    If you type 'Cosequin' into the search bar on the top right of the page you will probably find a lot of posts relating to it, as quite a few folks here use it or have used it. You will probably also find info on other similar products, and alternatives.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I gave cosequin to Sheba for a couple of years and it had no effect on her blood glucose levels.

4. Woggys Mom aka Marjon

Woggys Mom aka Marjon New Member

I have used it for years as well and never seen it affect blood sugar.

5. Carolyn Ross

Carolyn Ross Member

When giving Sam Cosequin, his BG numbers went up. Since it contains Glucosamine, I figured it was because that’s a sugar. The Mayo Clinic reported “Even though glucosamine is technically a type of sugar, it doesn't appear to affect blood sugar levels or insulin sensitivity. Some early research had suggested that glucosamine might worsen insulin resistance, which can contribute to increases in blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes”.
    Maybe it’s also certain cats, like mine, that would be affected by it and I stopped using it. I wouldn’t have known if I didn’t check Sam’s BG and see a rise in the numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.