Cosmo's first post- AMPS-334, +3-298, +5-231, +6-222, +9-232, PMPS- 318

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by jennie and Cosmo, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jennie and Cosmo

jennie and Cosmo New Member

Hello all! This is my first post with my spreadsheet up. A little backstory- we started Lantus last week with .25 and all his pre shot numbers were below 300 with nadirs in the upper 100s. He had been in the 300s prior to insulin before detoxing to low carb diet. Then out of nowhere, his nadir went to 234 yesterday. I had been planning a dose increase anyway that day and did it that night. Stayed up to test him and he was only at 240 at +5. Then this morning his AMPS jumped to 334. I read about bouncing and about new dose wonkiness....do you think he bounced before the increase and now has the new dose wonkiness? I've only been doing this for a few weeks and just got the hang of home testing a few days ago. Super overwhelmed as I start a summer job tomorrow and won't be home to check nadirs during the day. Thanks for any input or guidance.

2. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Welcome to you and Cosmo! Great job with testing and getting the spreadsheet going. I hope some more experienced members will be along soon to offer suggestions. Understanding you can't test much during the day, I hope you can fill in the spreadsheet at night a bit more. ;)

jennie and Cosmo likes this.
  3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hi Jennie and Cosmo :) I’m tagging @Chris & China to hopefully weigh in . You will find answers and guidance and encouragement here . Welcome :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!!….You're doing great so far!! You're home testing and feeding a better diet, so good for you!!

It's really important to get tests on that PM cycle too.....Most cats go lower at night so grabbing a "before bed" test will help to know if he's dropping too much and let you know if you might want to set an alarm to get another test in later in the cycle.

It also means you're missing half the picture.....It's kind of like a puzzle....if you only have pieces filled in on one side, you don't know if there's a puppy, a kitten or an alligator on the other side! ;) Makes it hard to see the "whole picture"

It's just too soon to expect anything that resembles regulation.

Have you looked through some of the ideas in the "Can I do Tight Regulation with a full time job?" thread? Even if you don't do TR, there are some good ideas

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm echoing every thing Chris posted, especially the part about getting PM tests.

I managed Gabby's diabetes while working full time. It can be a bit nerve wracking at times but it's feasible. It is especially important to test in the PM cycle if you're out of the house during the day.

Please let us know if you have questions. The people here are very generous with their time and knowledge and we're here to help.

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Welcome! You're off to a great start already! And the experts who've posted will help you along. I'm sure it won't be long before you and Cosmo are part of the fun here on this forum! :D:D

7. jennie and Cosmo

jennie and Cosmo New Member

Thanks everyone! I will get those PM tests in.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.