Could beef make glucose rise?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaSha, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaSha

MaSha Member

Our cat has been in remission for several years. He had been on insulin for approximately 6 months when we took him off kibble for diabetic cats.
    His glucose levels were fine (90) 10 days ago when we change his diet from chicken to beef (vet's advice to eliminate possible food allergy as the underlying cause for over-grooming). They are not fine now (321!).
    I'll talk to the vet tomorrow, but I think we'll put him back on chicken.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

no i wouldn't think so but, oddly fancy feast beef pate now do make tux's numbers go up quite a bit as if he was eating kibbles.. probably from what else is being added into the ingredients of the canned foods though more than the 'beef' itself because tux BG barely budged with previous beef version that only said 'pate' on label instead of the now 'classic pate' label.

TB25 likes this.
  3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Beef in itself would not raise his numbers but you should check the total carbs in the food you are giving maybe the food is not low carb

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Beef spiked KT, my first diabetic, really bad. No reason for it but his 'unique' body - it's low carb. Dakota can eat it fine without the spike. I used beef as KT's 'high carb'.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  5. MaSha

MaSha Member

Thank you all for your replies!
    I've been giving him just beef, not pet food, so there were no additional ingredients.

6. MaSha

MaSha Member

I was wandering if you too were giving pure beef to your cat or canned food.
    Thank you!

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Cat food - the only raw he would eat was raw chicken livers. I tried several brands of 'beef' as he really like it but all of them did the same thing.

8. MaSha

MaSha Member

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to tell you that our cats glucose levels fell back to normal when he took him of beef. Now he's back on chicken and sometimes fish.
    I'll talk to his vet, but I think that whenever we give him meat that is greasier than chicken or fish, his glucose levels rise.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wow this is really interesting. We're you giving fancy feast classic beef? I wonder if they changed the recipe.

10. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Yes!
    Beef absolutely can cause blood glucose spikes in susceptible kitties.
    ...So can any other foods that a cat is sensitive/intolerant/allergic to. Beef is a really common one. But other foods include chicken, fish (sometimes certain fish, such as salmon or tuna), soya, grains (sometimes specific, such as maize), carrageenan.... Cats who are senstitive to chicken can have a particularly hard time finding suitable foods, since chicken seems to be in so many foods.
    Foods that contain 'vegetable protein extract' (usually soya) can cause huge blood glucose spikes in susceptible kitties.

Eliz

11. MaSha

MaSha Member

We give him fresh meat, not canned. Same for chicken and fish. We prepare the meals for him. No veggies or soy.

JanetNJ likes this.
  12. MaSha

MaSha Member

We didn't know that beef can cause the spikes. It seems he does best on chicken.
    Thank you all for your replies!

JanetNJ likes this.
  13. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I think food intolerances and sensitivities - of various kinds - are not generally well observed unless there is a really obvious external physical symptom (allergic responses such as itchy skin, sneezing or wheezing, digestive problems, etc). Otherwise people seem to become aware of a sensitivity only if they've been regularly hometesting a cat who seems to react to a particular food (as my own kitty does to soya) with raised blood glucose. But it's not something that's much talked about...
    However, I've seen so many examples on this forum over the years, where the only factor that seemed to be causing spikes in blood glucose was a particular food.

14. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Making mr
    I am very grateful for this post. I bought beef FF pate a few days ago and his numbers have been higher. I am going to put the ones with beef, and beef and chicken aside and try your theory.
    My spreadsheet is coming soon, just got a new iPad-but now I can’t find the link here to download spreadsheet-will update as soon as I find it again on this website.

15. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Spreadsheet Link====>>HERE

16. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you. I finally found it. You are extremely helpful. I have been on here everyday since he was diagnosed. If I had not found this sight I do not think I would have tested his blood glucose everyday and just would have went with my vets suggestions of only if he shows symptoms.

17. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You are very welcome. Laura I am doubly glad you found FDMB, it's going to make a world of difference in Nermal's life and well being. I know it seems really hard at the beginning, it is difficult because there is a great deal to learn at first. But, you are doing well, you have learned to inject the insulin, you are going to be testing regularly and keep Nermal safe, you are paying attention to his diet. Keep reading the information, more than once if necessary (I sure did), ask questions like you are doing. Practice makes perfect and education/knowledge is power. It sounds like you are totally committed to caring for Nermal in the very best way. I look forward to reading about your progress and Nermal's treatment and improvement.:cat:

Laura bb likes this.
  18. MaSha

MaSha Member

I'd just like to point out how important regular home testing is. Our vets (we've changed a few) always insisted that the tests could be done at the clinic and that we shouldn't burden ourselves with doing it often. Had we listened to them we would have done much damage. Our purry friend has been insulin-free for years now.
    Thank you all for sharing!

19. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Would little beef bits work as a post test treat?

20. MaSha

MaSha Member

I'm not sure. Maybe it depends on the cat.
    I noticed spikes in glucose levels only after a few days of feeding beef. That's why I thought that it's maybe related to the % of fat. But it could also be an allergy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.