Could someone explain what Diabetes insipidus is

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hillary & Maui (GA), Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

And what is the treatment for a cat that has it.

I ask only because I saw a cat on petfinder (NO I'm not buying, just looking) and he has Diabetes insipidus. The little bit I could find on it, says it's different from the FD our kitties have, and that they must have water available or they could die in hours without it.

So, this part I get, what I don't seem to be able to find when googling is what, if any is the treatment for this?

I saw something about nosespray in people or making that into eye drops and mention of injections. But it doesn't say injections of what or timing.

Does anyone have insight into this, or can point me to a site that provides a bit more detail.

This is just a curiosity question, nothing more.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

there have been a few DI kitties here at FDMB.

Maybe one of the Carolyn(n)s?

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Send a PM to Carolynn and Fletcher and Robbie, her kitty had it. It's pretty rare in cats, most have Diabetes Mellitis.

The difference between the two is explained by the petdiabetes wiki

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Diabetes

Diabetes insipidus is a chronic condition of insufficient Antidiuretic hormone or resistance to this hormone.

Diabetes mellitus is a chronic condition of insufficient insulin or resistance to it, and high blood glucose levels.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

5. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

And finally -- the name means "tasteless gushing pee" as opposed to DM "sweet gushing pee", since there's no sugar involved in DI. The names come from the way physicians used to differentiate the two conditions. Use your imagination.

The missing hormone vasopressin is the one that concentrates urine in the body and retains water. Without it, the sufferer pees out lots of dilute urine and dehydrates, getting really thirsty. No blood sugar effect in particular, the hormone deals directly with water.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the explanations and the education. I'm learning something new that I had no idea this existed. A few more questions if you don't mind:

So, if a cat has this, can it ever go into remission like mellitus cats?

And the injection they get is once a day? Does the dose vary like with insulin? And how would one know to vary the dose?

Does the peeing issue ever lessen? Or is the cat forever peeing a lake? Does the water intake lessen?

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Cant answer your questions but Dale Ann has DI kitty too..she could answer them probly.

8. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

I belive remission is unlikely. The ADH (anti-duretic hormone) is produced by the posterior lobe of the pituitary gland, once this is damaged there is little likelyhood of it "regenerating".

The Tx would be DDAVP in humans this is available as a nasal spray usually taken at bedtime. DDAVP is also used to improve blood clotting in persons with a deficiency of clotting factors (Von Willebrand's disease) I have this and have a bottle of DDAVP to use in emergency situations such as nosebleeds or bleeding wounds. I don't remember how much it costs, but it is not very expensive.

9. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Carolynn, as mentioned, or Dale Ann (Dale as she posts here) could give you great insight into this.

They both use Desmopressin as an injection, it works better than using it as a nasal spray.

10. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

DI kitties are awesome! My Greta has it and the treatment is easier than FD. It's characterized by enormous amounts of water consumption and urination along with a very low urine specific gravity (Greta's USG was 1.001 when I got her). This is the best site I've found and Pat is a wonderful lady who will help at the drop of a hat: http://surroundedbycats.com/dicentral.html

Yes, the treatment is desmopressin (DDAVP). It comes as a nasal spray and most vets believe using it as eye/nose drops is best, but in actuality injecting the DDAVP is way better. At adoption, Greta was getting 4 drops in her eyes bid and 4 drops in her nose bid and was STILL drinking/peeing almost 5 cups of water a day! I got her, injected the desmopressin and within 24 hours her water consumption was down to 1/4 cup in 24 hours. The difference was amazing! And it doesn't cost any more than insulin really. Greta's 5mL bottle costs me $75 and she uses it in about 2 months (most others can use it longer but her dose is big).

Greta's dose of desmopressin is higher than most (4u bid--- she's a big gulper like Fletcher!) but the few DI kitties I know of take 0.25- 1.5 units of desmopressin bid. We use a u100 insulin syringe. You really can't overdose them-- you start at like 5u bid then drop the dose every 2 days or so by 0.5u, monitoring water intake as you go. Once you get a kitty that's not living in the water bowl and litter box, you reduce a bit more and if the water consumption goes back up you return to the dose that worked best.

My girl tends to get UTIs pretty frequently so sometimes we need to up her dose, but she is the most beautiful diva you'd ever want to meet. To look at her, you'd never know there was anything wrong:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.