Could use advise on Tysons progress

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by WendyG, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WendyG

WendyG Member

Hey everyone. Tyson has been plugging along. He seemed to have gotten his groove. Then lately I've noticed his numbers have been a lot lower in the amps. I've even had to skip a couple morning shots due to having to go to work, and only being able to wait the 20 minutes one or two times out. He never acts like he doesn't feel good though. He only acts hungry. I feed his anytime he acts starving, unless its within 2 hours of his shot time, of course. I started yesterday slightly reducing his shot amounts. Let me know if you think I shouldn't. I know they recommend same dose am/pm, but maybe he needs different doses. He's also about out of his 1st vial, so I'll probably stop by the vet and get a fresh vial of prozinc tonight or tomorrow. Any advise from the long term sugar mama and papa's I'd appreciate. Thanks! Wendy

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think reducing the dose is a good idea. Looks to me like the dose is bringing him low and lasting a long time at night (see the numbers from last night!) and giving you a low AMPS. Then you can't shoot, which ends up with him being high at PMPS...and the cycle continues. :) I think if you lower the dose and find a good dose that will work for AM and PM so you can shoot both times, that'll really help even things out. I wouldn't change his dose for AM and PM right now because the PM numbers are most likely inflated due to no insulin on board. If you get to a point where you're able to shoot and seeing wonky numbers, it's definitely something to consider, but for now, I believe that the same dose that gives him numbers you can shoot on both times will really help.

WendyG and Djamila like this.
  3. WendyG

WendyG Member

Thanks Rachel! I got a fresh vial last night too, only his 2nd. I only had enough to squeeze out 3.0 for his shot last night. He didn't finish his snack last night, but I noticed him finish it this morning around 5:30 am, amps was at 7 am. He's messing with his own numbers on me LOL. I gave him a 3.25 dose this morning off the fresh vial, and hopefully will be able to give a 3.25 dose tonight. We'll see how he reacts for a bit on that dose, and go from there!

4. WendyG

WendyG Member

Tyson was a 72 @ amps this morning, so no shot. Ugh. This boy is just doing a who-flung, I just don't understand. I didn't wait out the 20 minutes for a 2nd reading, as I had to go to work, and I didn't feel it was going to raise enough to get above 200 without food in 20 minutes time anyway. I did realize today at work that awhile back when I adjusted his shoot times to 7am/7pm, I hadn't adjusted his snack times from 12 am/pm to 1 am/pm, so I'll reset the auto feeder times when I get home tonight. But that's been a few weeks ago now. It may be why he's trying to box at my face while i'm sleeping in the morning, however he tends to still have food in the feeder when I wake up, so I'm not sure. I guess we'll see what his numbers are tonight and decide if I should stay at the 3.25 dose, or not

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow Tyson! Yeah, I don't blame you for not worrying about the stall this morning. I'd say it's highly unlikely that he would have risen enough in 20 minutes...and you gotta go to work! How else will you make the money to spoil the kitty? ;)

Hmmm....not sure if the feeder times are related to numbers/face boxing or not! It'll be interesting to see if that his issue.

Djamila likes this.
  6. WendyG

WendyG Member

Well, i'm not sure if its related either. I did change the auto feeder times, however I have fallen asleep and forgotten to put food in the feeder twice this week. No worries, Master Tyson wakes me up around 2:30 am to alert me to the matter. This gives me a good opportunity for getting a random BG level though. His numbers are just confusing. I'm not sure what to do with them at all. Another too low to shoot the other day, however I decided to give him a 1/2 shot so he didn't have to sit high most of the day. Seems to have worked out well. Not sure if I should level him off and keep him at the 3.5 or try to play around with his dose. I still feel like such a novice and just don't know where to go next to him this guy. I posted a new picture, as his old one showed him looking so sickly. He has definitely come so far.

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It looks like he is doing really well! You've seen some greens lately. Maybe stick with the dose for a few cycles and let's see what happens?

8. WendyG

WendyG Member

Thanks Rachel, will do. Wish I could figure him out. He threw a tantrum last night. Rummage through a bookshelf and did a who-flung on my dresser. Maybe just needed attention. I thought he was hungry, but his bowl was 1/2 full from his snack. His amps were elevated. shrug. I guess he's just being a cat LOL

9. WendyG

WendyG Member

Gosh, I just don't understand. Tyson was in the yellow amps/pmps Tuesday, then Red Wednesday morning. Too low to shoot Wednesday pm, but purple Thursday am. I just don't know what to think. Maybe I should have given him a half-shot on that 99 readout. Being that the 1st BG for PMPS was 105, and the 2nd was lower, I was nervous about giving the shot, so held off. He still had snack left in his bowl from 1pm, so I'm not sure why he didn't eat it all, he seemed hungry when I got home, anxious to eat, and scarfed down his dinner. Last night he insisted on an early snack at 12:15 am instead of 1am, so I caved. This morning he couldn't wait to eat, but I made him wait to 7, he ate great, a little over 3 oz. Oy this kitty!

10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Skipping that shot was the right decision in this case. There are times in this journey when you can shoot on a lower number, but not at this phase of the journey for Tyson. He's bouncing around too much right now. His varying appetite is most likely linked to the wonky numbers. Numbers that are erratic sometimes cause an erratic appetite as well. I think it's okay to feed him when he's hungry for now. And if he's asking for food at an unusual time, grab a test before you give it to him. It can be valuable data. (and sometimes those off-time hungries are connected to low numbers so it's good to check).
    Are you off work and able to collect some more daytime data this weekend? I'm wondering if his dose is a little high right now and getting some more mid-cycle numbers would help to get that sorted out.

11. WendyG

WendyG Member

Sorry Djamila, I didn't see this until just now. I don't have a computer at home. I had my grandson (almost 7 months) all day Saturday. Tyson doesn't like company of any kinds, and tends to hide when anyone is around. So i'm lucky when there is a naptime to get him tested and fed, etc. His PMPS was late Saturday evening due to this, as his numbers were too low to shoot when I tested and my grandson needed tending so I couldn't wait and test like normal. Still they weren't so high later that evening when he finally did get his dose. This morning he was sneaky and saved 1/2 his snack and scarfed it down when I wasn't looking, so his morning amps were high when I tested, then of course he had no interest in food at the normal time. Sometimes life gets in the way and things don't go as plans. I was starting to think he was trying to heal, and that his dose was too high as well, and backed him down to the 3.0 dose. Do you think I should go a little lower? I know i gave a 3.25 this morning, due to the 411 amps, and I immediately thought that was probably a mistake.

12. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Life does make all of this tricky sometimes! My hunch is that the three units on the 177 brought him lower than he was used to (and possibly even a little too low), and that's why you saw the 411 the next day. I would stick with 3u for a couple more cycles and try to get at least one mid-cycle morning and evening if it's at all possible. That will help figure out if he needs to go below the 3u. If you get another blue number, try lowering to 2.75u since it looks like 3u is too much on a blue number.

13. WendyG

WendyG Member

I did end up reducing him to 2.75 Saturday evening. He has started to eat a bit less, I've been noticing him wasting food, so I've been playing the guessing game of how much to put in his dish to satisfy him, without leaving him hungry. I hate wasting food. I do hope this means he's healing from the insides!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.