? Couple questions about syringes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by johnt, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnt

johnt Member

I'm trying to reel in all my costs and I'm wondering about syringes.

1. single use or multi? Currently I throw away the syringes after one use. I'm wondering if this is the norm or the exception, and if its multi use, how many times
    2. cost and maybe a link? Where do you get yours from? i need u-40 syringes, I'm paying about $20.00 for a box of 100. is that typical?

2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

1. Single use!
    2. Seems expensive. I use u-100 and they are $13 for 100 count at walmart. Maybe u-40 are more expensive?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t use syringes more than once. Many people order from adwdiabetes.com.

4. johnt

johnt Member

well thank you!

didn't want to keep hounding you for other things in the Wilbur thread, thought I'd ask the public so as not to bother you. I appreciate that, and I also appreciate that you too do single use.

Interestingly enough i visited that site, went to register and found i already had an account. logged in and see i previously ordered syringes there before. but not $20, it was $13.29 (not sure if it was a discount, i bought multiple boxes). Sounds like I'm at the right place already

Thanks!

Magic Johnson and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. johnt

johnt Member

@Kris & Teasel Think it's time to figure something out. he's more and more getting into the kibble while I sleep, I'm sure of it. I think I'm going to have to start taking the kibble away at night .

6. Kris & Teasel

Sounds like a good idea even if he'll hate that.

7. johnt

johnt Member

yse it will be awful for me.

he has a 'way' about him. first, he's 26 pounds. big, and heavy. i sleep on my side. when he wants something he'll SCREAM at me from the foot of the bed. he's very loud.

if I don't acknowledge him, he will jump up, walk his way up my side, lay down with his front paws hanging over my shoulder, and meow loudly until i wake up.

this should be fun

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

What about Young Again or Dr. Elsey's kibble in an automatic feeder?

Magic Johnson likes this.
  9. johnt

johnt Member

I'm still stuck with funding issues there. I will be getting it, but i had an autoship done with Chewy i'd forgotten about and didn't notice the alert. so i just got a 16 lb bag.

10. Kris & Teasel

Of high carb kibble? Does he eat low carb wet food as his main diet? There's no way around the importance of low carb food in the diabetes battle ... :confused:

11. johnt

johnt Member

Yep I know. and yes the high carb stuff that's $65 per 16lb bag. the problem is that's what the other cats eat and as of yet I can't change them over.

I'm planning on changing over the kibble to 'all' use the young again. but i have to be able to afford it.

During the day i keep him from eating the kibble by feeding a combination of tuna and some other wet food. both do great for his sugar levels. it only gets bad when he sneaks in the kibble. but at night i am asleep and as of right now it blows my mind how often he begs me for food.

12. Kris & Teasel

Keep working on it. ;)

13. johnt

johnt Member

@Kris & Teasel
    I'm about 99% sure I completely missed his skin this shot. my fingers were wet afterward

how should I handle this?

14. Kris & Teasel

Don’t shoot again. Wait until tomorrow morning. You can’t be certain that no insulin went in so skipping is safest.

15. johnt

johnt Member

yeah i wasnt about to shoot again. Just worries me. Thankfully he was at 277 which is about right.

Just thought I'd ask. I'm going to test him bu i have to retire early tonight as I have to be up at 4am for a business meeting. so just hold off till his normal AMPS? i was curious if his numbers were way too high if I should shoot 1 or 2 hours early

16. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

No, I would shoot at normal time, if you shoot early this am then it changes it again in the evening, just leave the same

17. johnt

johnt Member

Dangit. I asked this in the wrong thread. But I'm glad I got an answer :)

His blood sugar is 299 at +7 it just worries me. that means it's going to go up pretty high in the next 5 hours

18. Bellasmom

Your ok for now, we have all done fur shots, don’t worry to much about that number as he is not low and getting a little high for now is ok he will come down when shot is given, being higher for a short amount of time is ok

19. Bellasmom

I noticed you are gonna try young again cat food, there is also dr elseys clean protein, you can contact both companies and they will send you samples

20. johnt

johnt Member

it's financial. back when I was naive my vet had me change to hills precription diet w/d. well that kills his glucose. if he eats it it goes up over 300 when normally it's in the mid 100's at that time.

I had to change all cats over to it.

Since I was running out, Chewy sent me an auto ship at $71. i don't have the $40 to buy the Clean Protein too. Or i would. so I just have to wait until i can do it all. if I were to have bought it and the other cats didnt like it, i'm stuck.
    they did send samples and Wilbur loves it. I tried it as treats and he devoured it. It will instantly replace at minimum his other high carb treats that i deny him. possibly his hills too, just can't afford to check.
    that's the goal thou!

Bellasmom likes this.
  21. Bellasmom

Oh I, with you on the financial stuff, it can get crazy high especially when feeding it to more than one cat, the wet food I feed bella is primal raw at 28.00 a bag, supposed to have 6 chunks a day now 1 of my other cats wants it to, geez lol

22. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Chewy takes returns. Actually if you call and say your cat is diabetic now and can't eat it they will probably tell you to just donate it to a shelter and refund you.

23. JanetNJ

Young again will send a decent size sample. They are pricy but a bag lasts along time be wise they don't eat as much as other foods as it's high calorie and nutrient dense.

Bellasmom likes this.
  24. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I was just reading through this thread and going to suggest this. Chewy is really good about returns in my experience, and for what pet food costs, it's not the kind of thing you want to just wave it off. Give them a call, see what they say!

Kris & Teasel and Bellasmom like this.
  25. johnt

johnt Member

this is VERY good news. I'm going to do this. I'll just pay the additional cost and get 2 bags. because if you only order 1 @ $40 it doesn't get to the $50 MINIMUM for free shipping.

fantastic! thank you!

26. JanetNJ

For my diabetic I feed fancy feast classic, leave a little Young Again out in food puzzle. my other cats get fancy feast and I leave out (on the table because cc can't really get up there) epigen 90 which is about 8-9% carb. I'd leave out the young again for them too except one of my cats is allergic to it and if she eats even 2-3 pieces gets terrible diarrhea for 2 weeks. So I put that out on the top floor where cc goes but Julie never goes. Must be the pork.

27. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Call them up tell them you had meant to cancel and do not want it - they will refund you right there on your credit card and you can place another order if you want :) CHEWY is so great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.