crf links/how to deal with fd and crf

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HollyandSpader(GA), Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

Spader was diagnosed with early CRF on New Year's Eve '04. He was also a diet controlled diabetic, until a dental at the end of December of '06 put him
    back on the juice. I went out with Janet's food charts in hand and bought various low carb, low phos, medium protein foods and did a hit or miss approach until I came up with the magic mix he ate. The other cans stayed in the pantry just in case he got picky. I bought various flavors of Wellness, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Hi-Tor Neo, PetGuard, Pinnacle, Iams, Newman’s Own, etc.

I had been doing fluids on my own with a lot of success. The vets matched the internet prices, so that helped out a lot.
    Also, I put several cups of purified water around the house and purchased a cat fountain (The Cat-It). I also added water to his canned food.

He ate mostly the low phos Friskies Special Diet flavors and FF Chicken and Tuna. Sometimes he got picky and ate all meat baby food.

I ended up adding a phosphorus binder during the last year and a half.
    Here are some links:
    Feline CRF Information Center
    Tanya's Feline CRF Information Center
    I think I memorized and printed out every page!
    FelineCRF-FD Yahoo Group
    FelineCRF Support Yahoo Group
    These groups are awesome. Saved my butt!

Mail Order CRF Supplies
    I printed out the Brico prices and brought them into the vets.

How to give subQ fluids
    Feline CRF hints
    Foods list by Phos
    http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm
    Feline CRF Documents

A wonderful section of info from Feline Outreach.
    Feline Outreach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.