Cross posted Lantus possible ketones

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mdmelvin1128, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Tigger was not interested in eating this morning, his AMPS was 227, I shot 1U, tested at +2 he was 316, at +3.5 317. I got him to eat a little beef baby food, he is drinking a lot today, and I tested for ketones and got a small positive. Is it time to get to the vet?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

posted in lantus forum but want to reply here too just so others see and know. you mention that you found a puddle in the box and you tested that, but you don't know how long the puddle was there. that test could have been contaminated so i would try for a second test as soon as you can and in the meantime keep trying to get food and water in him as that will help flush out any developing problem.

3. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

After the puddle test, I was cleaning the box when Tigger came in and waited patiently for me to finish. I guess I took too long, and he couldn't wait so he went on the floor. I got a new test with that urine and got a small positive.

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

From what I have read "anything over an trace is considered positive" and you should call the vet. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong. I would get him in to the vet if possible. Are you still snowed in?

From the FAQ'a here: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/faq.html#ketones

Q5.3. How do I test for ketones?

A5.3. Ketones are tested in the urine using Keto-stix (R) or Keto-diastix (R), which you should be able to buy in the diabetic supplies section of your local pharmacy. If you can catch your cat on the litter box, you can either hold the end of the stick in the urine stream, or collect the urine in a small paper cup and dip the stick in (for a female cat, a deep plastic ladle kept by the litter box may be helpful for urine collection). If you see any signs of ketones, contact your vet right away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.