Crushing cerenia?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mufasa24, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mufasa24

Mufasa24 New Member

can cerenia be crushed? I tried to google it but haven’t found an answer. My cat will not swallow pills so I crushed his first dose and mixed it with water for him to drink which he did unwillingly but at least he got most of it. Hopefully it is still effective. Thanks for any reply’s

2. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

My usual approach to oral medication is to crush a pill, suspend or dissolve it in water, and syringe it into the cat's mouth. I did that once to Paddy (my civvie) with Cerenia and it went very badly. He foamed and drooled for about half an hour. I felt so sorry for him and wished I hadn't done it. I do think that dose of Cerenia worked. It was still a bad experience for us though.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Cerenia is very bitter and can cause terrible foaming from the mouth if they taste it. Crushing it will obviously increase the likelihood of them tasting it. It should be put in something and swallowed, not chewed. I also have a cat that 'will not swallow pills', but there are ways to get them to swallow. The first time you see the foaming from his mouth because he gets a taste of it, you will find a way to give it so he can swallow it!

Her is an old thread I had about this: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/anyone-else-had-cerenia-drama.190175/

I now give Willow half a Zyrtec pill each day, and I have found that the easiest way for me is to soak it for just a little while in bone broth or even just water to soften it so that it goes down more easily and there is no risk of it choking her. Then, I open a 1-TDC capsule and squeeze up just a little of the gel from inside and stick the pill down in it so that it is coated. When she is on the bed, I put one arm over her to gently hold her in place and use the hand from that arm to lift her head back a little and open her mouth, then using the other hand, I squirt the contents of the 1-TDC capsule (with the pill in it) into the back of her mouth, basically at the beginning of her throat. I then see that she keeps her mouth closed several seconds, usually gently massaging her throat, then I release her. I would have never thought I would have been able to give her a pill every day, but amazingly, it is now routine, and she still protests, but it is nothing of the drama it used to be to try and get her to take a pill. 1-TDC is also a great supplement for periodontal and joint health as well as other things like coat, so that is a bonus. :)

4. Mufasa24

Mufasa24 New Member

Does the injectable tend to be more effective? The pill doesnt seem to be working as well.

5. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

In Paddy's case, the injection did seem more effective. I took him to the vet because he wasn't eating. The vet administered the injection and, within half an hour, Paddy was devouring everything in sight.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I put all pills in empty size 3 or 4 gelcaps available from amazon and capsuline.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.