? Cue Paranioa.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ferndoc, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

So I upped Fern's Prozinc to 2.5u starting last night. It looks like we may have come to the "right dose" for now His +4 number tonight was his first "normal" reading of 116. Cue Cat Momma nerves and relief. I feel I did the fight thing waiting to change the dose at the start of a weekend so that if it does tip a bit too far I'm not having about going to work in the morning.

Now the question. His Vet is recommending a dose of 1u if he is below 300. I think that might be a bit too low so I'm thinking more in line with 1.5 at least. The Vet also says no shoot under 250. I'm thinking a toke shoot of either .5 or 1u if it is above 200 thoughts?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We don't use ProZinc (we use Lantus) but generally speaking, you'll probably get better results if you hold the same dose both AM and PM but with ProZinc, some cats do well with a sliding scale dosing that's based on the PS

Mostly what I see here are people who hold the same dose unless the cat drops too low though

There's a lot of great information in this "Protocol for dosing with ProZinc" thread

3. I am a former user of PZI, and I'm one of the people on the board that believes that Prozinc/Pzi is well-suited to adjusting the dose on an "as needed basis", like you describe. I believe it actually works better that way instead of sticking with one dose, but other's believe like Chris described above (keeping the dose constant).

It sounds like your vet is saying it can be adjusted lower on lower preshot numbers?

I agree with what you said about reaching a "right dose" with 2.5u with a preshot in the mid 300s tonight. It got you your first green number!

As far as what doses to go with.... see how this cycle plays out. The conservative doses your vet outlined might be okay. But I do think that you could shoot .5 on a number of 200 or more. That "cutoff" is what is usually suggested to newer members until they've collected enough data to shoot lower numbers. Because you haven't had to shoot anything lower than 300 up until now, it's hard to say what will be safe and okay to do on numbers under 300.

I just saw the 84 you got at +5 which tells me this dose is still working. Can you get a +6?

4. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I plan on getting a +6 and possibly a +7 depending. In part because I am paranoid but mostly to get better data.

5. I'll keep an eye out for them if you post them.

6. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

It's a good thing that his test strips were on sale for $2 off at Meijer's today. (100 for $17.99). I only bought 200.

7. What type of meter is it?

8. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Meijer Essentials; which appears to be the same meter as Target's Up/Up; On Sync.

9. Ok, as long as it's a human meter. :)

10. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Ok he's beginning to go back up. Now well see if he bounces from the new low but I don't feel the need to stay up for a +7

11. Good deal! Maybe reward him with a snack?
    Hoping for a bounceless night!

12. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Well he did bounce a bit. He's about up closer to 400. I'm not surprised as that seems to be his pattern. Since he is more stable now I'm glad I made a needed dental appointment for him in about 2 weeks. I'm sure that will help his numbers after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.